This Disappears When Logged In

Corn Cob Bedding

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by preacher, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher

preacher Member

Is Corn Cob any good or worse? Is it detrimental for a kingsnake?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Corn Cob Bedding?

I didn't realize they even sold corncob anymore.

It's a breeding ground for mold and bacteria, can cause impaction and over all just is not safe to use. If you want a particulate bedding try using aspen shavings.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes unfortunately its still around. The corncob litter was developed for use UNDER birdcages, where the occupant could not get near it! It was never intended for use where an animal actually lived in it. As soon as it gets the least bit damp it grows mold and bacteria like crazy. Most serious bird keepers won't even use it anymore.

4. preacher

preacher Member

Aspen is what I am using now. It isn't bad, the inhabitant seems to enjoy it.

I am just looking at what the options are for me. I may try and build a bigger habitat and would like to make it interesting.:)

5. Merlin

Aspen is fine.
    You can also use cypress mulch from the garden center for a darker more woodsy look.
    Just don't get the red dyed tuff!

6. preacher

preacher Member

How about rocks, like aquarium colored stuff?

Sand?

What is best for my snake is Aspen from what I understand. I do not want anything bad for him, but if it is OK for him then I want to know my options.

Does anyone else have a big environment 'display' full of snake?

7. Merlin

Not a good idea. Too heavy and far too dry.
    And when the snake eliminates the liguid runs thru the gravel and pools on the bottom of the tank under the gravel requiring a major teardown to clean it.
    And if it by chance swallows any, its trouble!

8. preacher

preacher Member

So then the 'undyed' cypress mulch seems like it is a good option along with the #1 choice of Aspen.

Another suggestion I found was Reptile Sand.

Aquarium rocks, however colorful, may just be too difficult if I have to worry about a lot of cleaning.

I did find a 'stacked' slate idea though. That could really be interesting.

9. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Sand would NOT be a good choice. Especially not with how much snakes stick their tongues out and lick everything. That would just be asking for impaction.

With the rocks, you would have to make sure they would be to big to be swallowed by the snake.

10. Merlin

The sand will also be way too dry and can dessicate the snake. Not to mention it can get betwen the scales and irritate them. The stacked slate is fine and I have seen some very attractive settups. You do have to be careful that the slate can't shift and injure the snake.

11. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Can you use dry eco earth for snakes? I've never heard anything about using it for snakes... (sorry to but into the conversation)

12. preacher

preacher Member

No, thank you for jumping into the conversation Ipanda. I want all the info and ideas I can get.

That is also the first time I've heard of eco earth. Is it an option for snakes?

As far as the slate, I would think large pieces, stacked or piled in a way to create a hide would be interesting for humans and useful for the snake.

As far as sand goes, don't Cali-Kings live in the sand in California?

13. Merlin

14. preacher

preacher Member

Yeah, I'm familiar with high desert environments.

I also wondered if his tongue would pick up sand that easily. But it was 'reptile sand' so I thought maybe it was safe for them.

15. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

16. preacher

preacher Member

This stuff?

Zoo Med White Vita Sand 5lbs
    size: 5 lbs
    All natural vitamin-fortified calcium carbonate substrate. No artificial colors or color sealers! Excellent substrate for desert dwelling reptiles. *Ultra fine grade to help prevent impaction from overconsumption*

I will read up in that archived discussion as well, thanks fire.

17. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

That's the stuff, don't trust it!

It's calcium carbonate, like tums. If you ate a whole roll of tums it would neutralize the acid in your stomach and you wouldn't be able to digest, it's the same sort if thing here, the sand backs up and plugs up the animal until they can't eat because they can't defecate and then they die.

18. Merlin

Yes, that's calcium sand.
    Absolute garbage!

19. Re: Corn Cob Bedding?

Corn cob bedding killed one of my hognose snakes a while back. It grew some kind of mold in it so i would say not to use it.

20. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

Eco Earth is coco fiber. It comes in those bricks that expand in water. There's various brands of it, not just Eco Earth.

I've used it for all my snakes for a few years now. Seem to have no trouble at all. It holds moisture really well (haven't had a single bad shed in any snake since starting using it), and the borrowing snakes can borrow in it. Cleaning isn't super easy, but not too hard either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.