This Disappears When Logged In

Coral Snake?

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by Ace, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I found a snake In my friends backyard and it sounds to be a coral snake and yes I know they are very posionus and was handled with care and caught so the dogs wouldn't eat it and is now caged until I can release it. I need to identify him ir her so that I know where a good place to relocate is so my question is

Although Coral snakes are said to not live in kansas is it possible that onegot here some how??

If so where do I let it out?

Dose anyone have a pic I can compare to?? :D

Oh yes and he/she looks like a regular garter snake at first but then you can see bands of red across its back and it almost touchs the yellow so thats what made me think it was coral cause I read somewhere that if the red touchs yellow it is a coral.

Its not a coral snake cause the yellow and green stripes go downa nd the red go side to side so what is it ???

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

3. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

4. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Nope

None of them

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If it doesn't look just like Ken's first pic, its not a coral. Corals also always have a black nose, they're very small, and have smooth scales. They always have yellow, black, and red banding. Never stripes and never other colors (at least in the coral snakes in the US). If yours has the shape of a garter snake, then I think that's exactly what it is.

If it was a garter snake, it could have been a western ribbon snake (Thamnophis proximus proximus) or a red-sided garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis).

Ribbon:
    http://www.egsa.de/galerie/images/024.jpg

http://satori.com/_gifs/thamnophis.proximus4.jpg

Garter:
    http://www.cnah.org/images/herps/400.jpg

http://www.sirtalis.de/fotos/sirtalis/het_parietalis_016.jpg

Ken's other link depicts a California red-sided garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis). Similar name and appearance to the common red-sided, but it wouldn't show up in Kansas.

7. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

I hope all you found was a Garter. Jade, I love that Longnose Snake.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I wish I could find a coral snake :mad:

9. Andy_G

Andy_G Active Member

I thought there were melanistics around. I remember seeing something while reading the most recent all venomous issue of reptiles... :confused:

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I suppose there could be a few melanistics out there. However, they'd be pretty rare. Was the article about wild ones or captive bred ones?

11. Andy_G

Andy_G Active Member

I think it was an article about someone phoning in to the venom unit in Florida(?) asking if the snake they found in their backyard is dangerous, the description sounded like a melanistic eastern hog due to the length, the person that found it ended up picking it up with a stick, putting it in a jar and bringing it to them and it ended up being a melanistic coral. I would think that if there are any melanistics in captivity there is bound to be lots in the wild. Also kind of goes to show you that verbal descriptions aren't always enough! :)

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Wow, neat. Lucky the lady didn't get bit though! I was referring to the color of the bands they have, never even considered the possibility of the absence of them :rolleyes:

13. Andy_G

Andy_G Active Member

If you do a google search on melanistic corals, lots of interesting little forum threads and topics come up. Just some food for thought!

14. Dawson

Dawson Active Member

Theres also anerythristic coral snakes in a range near Austin, TX - their red bands are completely faded out, and albinos found in a range near Houston, TX. :)

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Note to self: Go field herping in TX :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.