This Disappears When Logged In

Coral, my Sinaloan - first pics

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by JMM, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Today I went with my kids to get "Coral" from the petshop where it has been separated in a plastic container for the past 10 days.

As you will see, I´m following everybody´s (good) advise and starting a home QT. Nothing but paper and water for the time being...

She´s 22-23" and around 1 year old.

So, here are the first pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, finally, resting after the move

[​IMG]

2. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

I'm glad you finally got your new snake. The kids seem to be enjoying it, and will become more comfortable handling it the more they do. Good Luck.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on the newbie, its awesome. Glad the kids are involved to, get them started early ;)..

4. The D

The D Mango Empress

congratulations! hurray for new snakes, and hurray for kids who love them!

5. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Good looking snake

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

very pretty thanks for sharing. hope for more pics after she settles in. :)

7. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Tks a lot.
    The kids are really enjoying it and the big problem now is holding them.
    Since 9am they´ve been asking me if they can play with the snake, or at leats hold her...or at least touch her...and why isn´t she moving....and if she sleeps late..and what time will she wake up....

Very good reaction, I must say. Almost too good, if you know what I mean...

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Very pretty.
    I love red snakes!:)
    Just tell the kids that the snake has to sleep too, it just does it during the day.
    Ask them how they would like it if you came in in the middle of the night, grabbed them and jerked them out of bed.
    And made them do chores!;)

9. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Congrats on your new addition!

10. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Hi,

I´ve already posted this photos in the Caging/Housing forum, but I´ll post them here also, as this thread will be like a "diary" (well..not exactly...) for Coral.

So, here´s the terrarium already decorated and in place

[​IMG]

And the first pics after introducing her in the new home, cruising around, looking for mice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy.
    Regards,

João

11. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Yesterday, I fed Coral for the first time. Right after getting her, she started to shed (sp ?), so I had to wait before feeding her.

So, I put the f/t mouse in a flat stone in the terrarium and waited for a while. She came partially out from the burrow and "freezed" in front of it in the "S" position...
    After a few moments, I touched the mouse with the tweezer and, with the (slight) movement, she immediately went for it, grabbed it be the head, pulled it in and started to eat it.

She didn´t try to "kill" the prey, just ate it - I guess the instinct isn´t there anymore...

It was quite a show - naturally exciting for a "newbie" -, so I decided to share it with you, keeping this post/diary active

Regards
    João

12. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome, glad to hear it ate willingly for you. You might think about feeding outside the enclosure so it doesnt associate your hand entering the tank with feeding time. Just a suggestion, lol.

13. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

i second that

I totally agree.Feed outside the tank and your cage looks great but i can't help but miss your first picture that looked like your snake lived in the clouds somewhat like a dragon.But i know that isn't natural.YAY FOR DRAGONS

14. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Hi Venus,

I thought about that, but I´m using a long tweezer, so my hand does not enter the enclosure. Only the tweezer with the mouse.

15. Merlin

The problem is the snake associating the opening of doors with food being inserted. This can still set off a feeding reaction. And there is the possibility of the snake swallowing some of the substrate.
    Most snakes don't bother killing pinkies. They will just swallow them alive. I guess they instinctively know that they are harmless. When you switch to larger prey the constricting may start.

16. JMM

JMM Elite Member

I see your point. I was told not to handle her in the feeding days, in order not to stress her (nor in the 2 days following, due to digestion). So, that´s why I fed inside the enclosure.
    But perhaps that´s exagerated, so I may review that in future, following your advise.

As regards the way they eat, I used killing between " ", because I´m feeding frozen.

But its curious that, even with frozen mice, some snakes attack them as if they had to kill them, while others just eat them.

Two other Portuguese friends of mine that have snakes (milks, kings and a corn) and also feed frozen have registered different behaviors: some snakes just eat them (like mine), others constrict, and others - specially the corn - smash them against the rocks or glass of the enclosure.

That´s curious, but I don´t know if it has to do with their wild instinct or of being more or less confident about themselves and therefore the harm (if any) the prey may do to them.

17. Merlin

Even snakes that are captive bred and born still retain, and act on, their wild instincts. They are basically very simple creatures. A pinkie is no threat so they don't waste time and energy killing them. ( I have also observed snakes in the wild swallowing living frogs ) As they get used to feeding on prekilled prey some of them will continue to constrict first and some will just amble over and start swallowing. I have snakes that do both and it seems that the hungrier they are the more apt they are to strike and constrict. The same snake that calmly swallowed his prey, a couple of weeks later after missing a feeding week will strike and constrict.
    As for handling on feeding days, that is not a probelm except after the snake has fed and for two days following that. After the snake has fed you can immediately pick it up gently and return it to the cage.

18. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Thanks for that useful info, Merlin

19. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Going out for dinner

Hi,

Update.
    Yesterday was feeding day.

I bought a new dinning room for coral,
    [​IMG]

And set the table
    [​IMG]

Now, alll I had to do was find her....probably, under the rock in the far left corner (one of her favorite spots)
    [​IMG]

Here you are ! !
    [​IMG]

Going to the dinning room and finding the dinner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gotcha !
    [​IMG]

"It´s mine, it´s all mine"
    [​IMG]

And ending up with a nice bump (in a bad picture...)
    [​IMG]

Well, that´s all for now.

João

20. venus

venus Founding Member

Great feeding pics, glad to see you feeding in the dining room instead :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.