This Disappears When Logged In

Converted rack heat

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Knox, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

As some of you may know, I ordered and received my Reptile Basics Rack. I love the construction, but the back heat flexwatt is sandwiched between 2 sheets of the back pvc wall. Even with my thermostat set on "hades", I couldn't get the temps above 74.

So...

I drilled holes in the back (destroying the back flexwatt), and wired 11" flexatt directly on the shelves as belly heat. The Iris boxes sit about 1/2 inch abovet the flexwatt, because they have feet on the bottoms. It doesn't look pretty when the boxes are out, with tape covering the soldered connection and duct tape holding the flexwatt down. And the back is a mess of wires going from shelf to shelf. However, with tubs in place you never know anything was done. AND!!!! I get hot spots of 84 - 87 degrees with cool spots at a steady 73 - 74 degrees.

This was my first time ever soldering (I had to buy a gun and solder), but it wasn't that bad. I only had to fix one connection that didn't take.

I will post pics of the "Frankenstein" rack later. I just wanted to share my jubilation:D :D :D .

(I still don't know why the flexwatt is sandwiched between pvc... It looks nice and clean, but the heat is so trapped)

2. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Way to go Mike. Looking forward to the pics.;)

3. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

Great job! Be sure to post the pics!

4. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Here is the belly heat on the top rack:
    [​IMG]
    And the ugly wires sticking out the back:
    [​IMG]
    It actually was a fun project. I love tackling a job and coming out on the other side knowing more than I did previously. I will now have more confidence when I build something in the future..

5. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

Hey, if it works, it works. Great Job!

6. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

All right Mike! Now we need to see the whole rack.;)

7. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

And what your keeping in the rack! :D

8. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Okay, okay... I will see what I can do. I need to clean the clutter AROUND the rack first LOL.

Edit: Here is one I found in my files. I will take more later, I PROMISE! I am off to watch the Colts (hopefully) beat the Steelers.

[​IMG]

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Interesting markings on your corns tail,,i like it, lol. Cant wait to see pics of the whole rack..you can take pics during commercials.

Hee Hee...well so far Mike its not looking good :p, so many teams,,,which one should I choose :D.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.