This Disappears When Logged In

Contemplating Getting Another Snake!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by annarawrr, Dec 7, 2011.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 3x1.5x1.5 foot tank, intended for my water snake. I set it up last night, it was fine this morning, I left home for five minutes to buy some juice and when I came back it was flooding everywhere! Thankfully my housemate was home and we managed to mop it up within about half an hour. The fish are living in a bucket, the crayfish is in a temporary tank and Preshuz is hiding under a rock. I'm just too tired to set up all their individual homes right now!

Anyway I was thinking instead of throwing away the cracked tank (bought it secondhand, cash, no receipt, so will likely not get a refund, plus the crack is too big to reseal) I thought maybe I could use it to house a different snake! It's a 50-50 chance, I may or may not get one some time soon because I do have to buy another tank for Preshuz!

So what snake should I get if I decide to get one? This is my criteria list:

- One that won't grow more than about 4ft long
    - Non venomous! I don't mind rear fanged snakes though
    - One that can be handled often without getting stressed out
    - Preferably low maintenance

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

:) hmmm...

kenyan sand boa...hognose snake.. children's python maybe~?

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'll look into those! I've also been thinking of retics and ball pythons since those are commonly sold here for rather low prices!

4. purplemuffin

retics? I thought it needed to stay small! LOL! Unless you mean super dwarf!

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Ha I was just on my way here to delete the retic part! I was preoccupied reading about retics and then I guess I subconsciously typed retic as well. No way! They're enormous and aggressive! XD

6. purplemuffin

LOL! Okay, I was about to say! Male ball pythons stay pretty small, mine maxed out at 3 feet, though some do get a little bigger

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Yeah, I was wondering if it would be possible to get a male bp, thing is I don't think most breeders here sex their snakes! If I were to get a snake then I think I'd be set on the bp, I hear they're docile and not very nippy, which is always a plus when considering any pet!

8. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I've actually yet to meet an aggressive reticulated python (though they're nowhere near small when grown). Children's pythons on the other hand can be quite spunky.

I second the idea of a Kenyan or a hognose. Ball pythons are just too much of a headache.

9. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

personally, im a ball python fanatic, awesome little snakes and a curious personallity, wont lie, been tagged a couple of times, but i also have 7 of them, so getting tagged two or three times in a couple years isnt bad odds, i would say ball python, but be aware of thier quirks. im not too partial to the hognose or the sand boas honestly, they just have a strange look to me that i cant even tell you what i would compare them to on here lol.

10. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Over the years I've grown exceptionally fond of Balls! They are sweet, personable (to me, anyways) and have many beautiful morphs. I had 7 or 8 total, always at least 3 with me. My favorite was an assumed male who got HUGE, then was properly probed (girl, lol). Jive ended up being the coolest snake, ever :D My very first pet snake was a Spotted Python, she was amazing too ;)

11. purplemuffin

Breeders usually sex their snakes because otherwise, how would they figure out who to breed and hold back? Males are usually cheaper(no breeder wants a normal male in general, but will pay for normal females since they can simply be extra babies with a morph male breeding to 5 ladies or so)

But you know, kenyan sand boas are also really awesome. Little sausage snakes!

12. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I love my ball. He's only ever bitten me once, and it was my fault. Corn snakes are always nice, too.

13. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm never one to say an animal is aggressive right off the bat, normally it's a defense mechanism, but I've read that retics will strike over and over and over again until they're sure they really got you when they do! I'm not afraid of scratches or bites in the least but a large snake that can and will strike repeatedly would probably not make a good pet for someone who's 5 foot nothing and clumsy! And yeah, I have read that balls are very sweet little guys! I'll look into the sand boas and hognoses too. Thanks guys!

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well i have met several. And it isn't pleasant!
    Their reputation is fully deserved.
    I have a keeper friend who is very experienced with large constrictors whose retic sent him to the hospital!

15. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Gosh golly, that sucks. :( I hope he's alright now!

It isn't for lack of retics that I haven't met a mean one. I've met a LOT. I've seen them be cage aggressive/defensive but once they're out, they've all been fine for me.

16. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I would go for a corn snake! They get about the same length as a ball python, but are allot skinnier, they don't go on feeding strike near as often and have just as good a temperament as a ball python except their a little more active.

17. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Hehe, you are so biased Kernel ;)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ya think?
    But I agree with him.

19. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Only on special occasions ;)

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member