This Disappears When Logged In

Constrictor Question

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by MoskiWoski, Apr 5, 2013.

1. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

As some of you may know, I ordered an Amazon Tree Boa about a month ago, and have been waiting on the weather to improve so she can be shipped. Well, it looks like Monday will be shipping day!!! Tuesday morning at 9:00 am, she will be home!!!

I called today to arrange things and ask about feeding schedule, feeding size, things like that. The seller told me that on her last feed, she wouldn't take it and he had to do an assisted feed. And that once he pushed the nose of the pinky in her mouth, she clamped down, started constricting, and ate no problem. He said it wasn't a big deal, she's still a baby (4-5 months), that this was the first time they've had a problem and he doesn't see it as a concern. He told me to give her a week after arrival, try feeding, and if she doesn't take it, don't panic. Wait a few more days to a week and try again. If she still doesn't take it at week 2, call him and he will walk me through an assisted feed.

I'm not concerned that "I won't be able" to do an assisted feed, I'm sure I can, I just want to know if this is common, normal, and if it's something that just happens sometimes. Should I be concerned with the fact that she needed an assisted feed?? Do babies get past this?

Also, she is eating pinkys, he said regular to large would be fine. How long will she be on pinkys, approximately? I'm going to a reptile show this weekend and would like to buy food from a breeder over a pet store. Should I buy 10, 20, 50?? She's 4-5 months old, he said about 18 inches, and a little smaller than your little finger around. I know all snakes are different so this may be an unanswerable question, but I thought is ask.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all tips and info.

Oh, and he said he did try a live pinky to no avail, and ended up using that on the assisted feed. Just so you know.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Do what he said. Just let her settle in for a week without disturbance and give it a shot. If it doesn't work try again the next week. I would personally try to avoid force (assist) feeding so if it were me I would wait one extra week before resorting to that. But that's just me. As for how long he should be on pinkies you will be able to get a better idea when you see the snake. Compare the size of the pinky to the size of the snake and use your best judgement. If the pinky is still fairly large compared to the snake it will be on them for longer than if it's looking a little small. If you end up buying more than needed you can feed two at a time to get rid of them before moving up to a larger prey size. Off the top of my head I would think he should be moving up relatively soon, but I don't know much about emeralds and their growth rates.

3. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks Justor. I agree that forced feeding should be an absolute last resort. Could there be any I'll effects from it? Like, could it be something I have to do every time? Or is this typically a temporary thing, and they get past it? The guy said she's always readily taken all other meals offered, so he thinks this may just be a one time thing. I don't see him being dishonest, the snake is already paid for. Plus, they have a 30 day guarantee from time of arrival. I think it was more of a heads up. What do you think?

4. justor

justor Elite Member

I can't recall hearing of any snakes that required regular force feeding, it's more often a one time thing I suppose. Which is why it's really not necessary in most cases. For instance, if I were the breeder I would have just let her skip that feeding and most likely she would have taken it right away the next time. If a snake is repeatedly refusing food there has to be an underlying cause, and force feeding doesn't solve that problem. It treats the symptom rather than the illness so to speak.

5. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Yeah, that makes sense. I've just never dealt with this before. Thinking back, if one didn't eat, I just waited and tried again later. They've always taken it when they were hungry. I guess that's just instinct. When you're hungry, eat. When you're not, don't. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Austin. I think there was no need for a force feeding over one missed meal. At their age they should be eating every 5 days or so, missing one meal shouldn't affect that at all. If it's been cared for well this whole time, it should be able to go one if not even two months without food (not ideal). Be aware that snakes do often go off feed when shipped and for that reason it's best to leave her alone the first week. Only ensure she has clean water and don't bother it in any way. Depending on the size she could be moved to fuzzies in a few months. As long as her humidity and temps are good just give her time. More often it's more stressful on the owner then the snake when they're on hunger strikes. There are animals that simply wont eat and can in fact starve themselves, but that is not often. I'm sure things will work themselves out for the better. You cn always post if you have any issues :)

7. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Right on Joey! I appreciate it. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that it was a one time thing. I understand what you said about being more stressful on the owner. I haven't even gotten her yet, and I'm stressed out. Haha. I'm glad the guy was honest, but I almost wish he wouldn't have told me. How am I supposed to sleep now that I know this?!?! Haha.

Thanks guys.

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

The snake will tell you when its time to panic. You will notice a little snake loosing weight by its backbone becoming more and more pronounced. Its hard to miss, so dont stress and worry about her meals. Im pumped for you. Cant wait to see the picture thread tuesday morning.

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Maybe look into fuzzies. There should be a buldge in the belly. I have small hands and a pinky is smaller than the width of my pinky finger ergo there wouldn't be a buldge. I recommend moving it up.

10. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks DHI, I'm pumped too!! I feel like I've been waiting forever!! Haha. Like a little kid!!

11. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks TJ. The guy said large pinkies would be no problem, so I'll look at the sizes. I'll definitely pick some up this weekend. I appreciate it.

12. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Should I pick up a gram scale?? If so, what's a good one to get?

13. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I just ordered one off amazon. I think it was like 20.00. It weighs in kg but I just do the conversion. Its a good thing to have that way you can make sure he's not loosing but steadily gaining. Is it a must have? No. I literally just got one in last 6 months.

14. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

That's cool. Now that I know an approximate price, I'll look around at the show, see if someone has any reasonably priced. Thanks again.

15. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You can look at kitchen scales too.

16. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Got a 1000 gram scale for $10.00 at Harbor Freight. So we'll see how long it lasts.