This Disappears When Logged In

Considering;

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Dana, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana

Dana Active Member

Hey everyone; I'm considering a Burmese to my family and I was wondering about the temperment. And should I get one that's small? If so how small?Could anyone give me an idea?
    I'm still looking to replace the snake I gave my son for his Birthday and both are doing rather well! (son + snake)

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

They can be tempermental and also grow quite large

3. Todd

Todd Elite Member

Temperaments can vary for these giants. It's been said that they are the most docile of the larger snakes. I would recommend adopting a Burmese rather than buying one. Burmese pythons are among the most abandoned snakes due to their large adult size. 12 to 16 feet (and several hundred pounds) is very long and dangerous. Many people underestimate the care requirements for Burmese pythons and the simple fact that they live upwards of 20 years. Also, reported attacks tend to come from Burmese pythons. Not because they are extremely aggressive, but because many people simply forget that snakes are instinctual and primal animals. Snakes are not dog tame. If they are docile, they still do not have the psychology of a warm, fuzzy house pet.

While I do not necessarily discourage ownership of big snakes, I do heavily encourage scrutiny of the facts, care requirements, and statistics so as to prevent a person from becoming a statistic. We do need many responsible Burmese herpers in this world to battle the irresponsible herpers and media sensationalism. Here's a good reference:

http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=952

Good luck. :)

4. Lord_Jason

Lord_Jason Active Member

99% of all burmese pythons I have EVER worked with are kitten tame. My 4 year old little brother has played with my 6' burm on a few occassions with minimal supervision. The only problem with this animal is its massive size potential. When a male is reaching 9-13' and capable of swallowing a medium sized dog or kill a small human, you're looking at a snake that isnt good for a family.

If you want to go bigger, get a male red tail, then a female red tail, then MAYBE a male burm.

Paul

5. Dana

Dana Active Member

Thanks Everyone

I want to thank everyone or the in put. I have a RTB (lol) she's just 22"

Thanks again EVERYONE! I think I need to stick with the RTB at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.