This Disappears When Logged In

Considering a Reptile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justin22885, Aug 21, 2014.

1. justin22885

justin22885 New Member

im looking for a new pet, and i've been considering a reptile, i have some experience with owning turtles/tortoises in the past, so thats an option but ive been leaning more towards the larger reptiles like some of the larger iguana species and monitor lizards.. im not a big snake fan so i probably wont go that route, but i do have to admit i really like the green tree pythons and emerald boas... im probably 6 months or so from making a purchase which is fine because i'd likely be building a custom habitat

so im looking for some more information, suggestions?.. im mostly leaning towards the monitors but not sure which one and nothings finalized yet, but im leaning more towards the asian water monitor.. not entirely sure what they eat.. but i have seen people feed them cuts of raw meat, chicken legs, and have heard of people feeding them cat food but.. i dont know if thats a good option?

i think id like something that could comfortably roam the house without much risk of escape.. i was considering building a habitat larger for a smaller one, but allow it to roam the house when it gets bigger and convert the smaller original habitat into a basking area that it can go into for heat and light

given the teeth on the monitor i used to think they were much more dangerous than they are but it seems with proper treatment and handling they can get to be big babies.. ive also considered the dwarf caiman but that seems like a more advanced level reptile, also, i dont think im willing to provide a significant water source, so im more interested in monitors

so yeah, any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

You should definitely check out Egyptian Uromastyx. They shouldn't need any kind of pond and to my knowledge are herbivores like the smaller uros which will cut a bit of cost if you're going the raw meat route. Especially if gardening is an option for you. Here's a quick link from a reputable breeder: deerfernfarms.com/Uromastyx_Egyptian.htm

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I don't mean this to come off as rude, but I think your expectations are way off from reality. For one, iguanas and monitors are not the beginner or easy pets that the pet stores or YouTube would have you believe. For another, free roaming any large reptile, except under direct supervision for interaction purposes, is a recipe for disaster. Not hard to find the horror stories of the things that have gone wrong. There is also the huge space and financial commitment that goes with owning one of these large lizards. Price of the animals is nothing compared to the cost of caging, feeding, and the time spent on maintenance. Then there's the fact that these large species can live upwards of 20 years if properly maintained, so it's a very long term commitment too. Now believe it or not, im not trying to talk you out of getting something along these lines, I just want you to be aware of what you might be letting yourself in for. If your willing to do the reasearch and commit to the requirements, then I believe you'll be fine, though you may wantnto consider something a bit smaller and easier to deal with, like a savanna monitor. Give the caresheet here a read, and you'll get a pretty good idea what I mean.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

This is something that is a pipe dream for many beginners. Not a good idea for most reptiles.
    You need to do some careful research on providing proper care requirements. Which are vastly different between all of them.
    Such as Asian Water Monitor but then you are not willing to provide a significant water source?

My advice is to start with something like a Bearded Dragon or Leopard gecko. The larger the reptile the more difficult and expensive the setup needs to be.
    You basically need to replicate their natural environment inside a box.

5. Gaaaaaaaaaard

And not to be silly or gross but let's not forget the exceptionally large amount of waste that can be left behind after a BM. May not be a big issue for some but even cleaning up after my hatchling uro runs me the wrong way.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Actually not an issue in an enclosure using a bioactive substrate. The only time I smell anything other than wet dirt is if I have the misfortune of opening the cage right after they go. One cage going abojt 2 years and never cleaned a poop yet, and still no smell.

7. Gaaaaaaaaaard

I'll look into that. I was mostly talking about a free roaming reptile wandering the house. Any links for info on the bioactive stuff?

8. justin22885

justin22885 New Member

yeah, ill have to take into consideration where they crap.. however by no means a first reptile so im already aware of all this.. i really do think im most interested in monitors, theres a lot of history behind that species in general and i first got interested in reptiles studying prehistoric examples of them from the permian and its also interesting to know the massive mosasaurs of the cretaceous were massive marine versions of monitors

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The first problem with what you are proposing is the fact that most reptiles do not live in the conditions we feel comfortable at. They need to be kept in THEIR conditions, not in ours with a place to go warm up.
    Second, a free roaming reptile presents a number of difficulties. First is sanitation. Reptiles carry salmonella bacteria and it will be spreading it throughout your house.
    Second is aggression. Larger reptiles can be seriously dangerous. Both monitors as well as green iguanas can put you in the hospital!
    I know you see all these videos where the animal looks docile and dog tame. These videos are misleading. Frequently put up by novices whose animals are one step away from dying.
    You cannot mold a reptile to live in your expectations of what you want them to be. The only way to successfully keep one is to work with it the way it naturally is.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You say this is not your first reptile, but all you've mentioned so far is having kept turtles and tortoises before, and that experience will do you little good where these large lizards are concerned. It isn't just about where they relieve themselves, there is the potential for damage and injury, both to you and others, plus the damage to the reptile themselves from not being maintained in supportive conditions, the damage from which is usually not noticable until it's too late to do anything.

11. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I would have to say you're thinking a little too big. Try looking into some lizards that are a little less advanced.