This Disappears When Logged In

Considering a King As a Starter

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Grimsley, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yeah...but if someone came up to me and asked what kingsnakes eat I probably wouldn't let one of my precious animals go live with them.....Just sayin...I will never get rich in this business for that reason.......lol

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well no but you can ask what size are you currently feeding and how often.

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Exactly. You don't want to switch up a diet the day you bring it home, and not everyone will necessarily share the same perspective when it comes to appropriate feed size so it's important to know how the snake was being fed previously.

And it's also important to know if they've fed their snakes live or frozen. It's incredibly difficult to get a snake fed exclusively on live foods to switch back to eating frozen, plus in terms of handling, you'll also have that pesky feeding response that activates whenever you come into their enclosure to deal with. While almost all breeders in my area feed frozen only, there are exceptions, so I imagine it's no different from where you're located and therefore it's crucial to ask.

4. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

I know what to feed a snake I buy. I know when to feed it and I know how often regardless of how it was kept by the breeder or previous owner.....I think all keepers should know this without being told...

Breeders selling at an expo full of unexperienced herpers should only sell snakes eating readily on frozen thawed rodents.
    Those animals that are not should be sold at a discounted price and advertised as stubborn feeders....IMHO

5. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

You do now, but did you the day you got your first snake? Sure, you probably read up about it and how to feed it and had a very general understanding, but you didn't 100% know exactly what you were doing. No one does. And if you ask five different breeders about how to feed the same snake, I guarantee you won't get five answers that are exactly the same, and that's incredibly confusing and frustrating for new owners who want definitive answers. Perceptions and opinions vary with experience. So while you, specifically, would not have the same need or desire to ask breeders a pile of questions about their snakes or how to feed them because you're confident in your ability to know that yourself, expos are not predominantly full of people like you who have that knowledge and experience. To have someone come up to a breeder and ask what to feed a kingsnake is not an abhorrent anomaly; if they are genuinely interested and trying to learn so they can adequately care for one, then a responsible breeder who does care about where their snakes end up will take the time to educate this person so they can feel confident in sending home the animal with them so they, too, can become experienced snake owners. They'll never get that if they get rejected for not knowing all the answers to begin with.

As for your comment regarding the expos themselves, I completely agree; but unfortunately, that's not always the case, and especially at expos that allow for the sale of WC animals. Hence why it's important, especially for those new to the hobby, to take the intiative to really speak to the breeders and ask ask ask. I'd say 95% of them are great; they're knowledgeable, ethical, and care about the animals. They love to answer any questions, and go out of their way to teach you about how to care for their snakes. These breeders can also be a good judge of character; they can tell the difference between another breeder, a hobbyist, and a first time owner, and will act accordingly. However, that leaves the 5%. You'll always find unethical businesspeople in the world, and these expos are no exception. For these people, if they feel they can sell you a hostile, mite-ridden snake fed live dogs once a month and get away with it, they will.

6. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

I agree with all that.....

7. Grimsley

Grimsley Member

Thank you for the advice, everybody! JLassiter, I especially value your opinion because I know that you know Kings. Lol I admire your gorgeous Kings every time you share them!

I'm pretty confident that I'll be alright! I bought my UTH, thermometers, and dual outlet timer for the day light today. I didn't realize terrariums were so expensive, so I'll have to get the 20 gal tomorrow. The lady at the pet store let me handle the MBK there, too. Poor guy musked all over my hand :( She did seem fairly knowledgeable on him, though, compared to what I've read and what you have all advised.

Hah one more question. I've seen that a lot of people use aspen substrate, but I've also seen a couple praises for Eco...dirt, I think it was? Anyway, I personally liked the look of the latter more than the aspen, but I didn't know if it was okay so I didn't get it :/

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I dont know if it would work for snakes...i dont see why it wouldnt but Someone else will probably nay say it if it doesnt. Go to Walmart and in the garden section is large blocks of a "sphagnum moss" that will have the same look of Eco earth but isn't as abrasive or irritating. Also it's about the same price but you get ALOT more that you can save or use in flower pots. It is also a more digestible plant matter (my desert tortoise would eat it instead of walking to her food bowl as she is very lazy) it doesn't seem to cause impaction issues if digested either where as the Eco earth has been known to every once in awhile. I use this in all my landed tanks now.
    However with substrates I hear it is a better option to feed outside the tank which I think also helps with takin but I could be wrong.