This Disappears When Logged In

Concerns About New Snake

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Carly Marlowe, Jan 7, 2016.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I thought you`d be sitting there wondering what to use to cover the top..... :) Make sure you cover it as completely as possible, you only need a small hole for air exchange (that will happen whenever you carry out maintenance each day).
    Edit: You`re looking for a basking surface temp of around 35c (95f).
    You haven`t said how big the enclosure is (in cm or inches)?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Carly Marlowe likes this.
  2. Carly Marlowe

Carly Marlowe Active Member

This made me laugh. I'm sitting here talking to myself about what to cover the top with trying to figure out how it's Saturday night and I'm sitting at home trying to get humidity right in a snake's tank and you chimed in with the answer!

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Snap, I`m sitting here on a saturday night trying to offer you advise on how to get the humidity right in a snake`s tank! Can life get any better, I mean seriously, can it???

4. Carly Marlowe

We also want to know how important its day and night cycle is? We have gotten the tank temp a lot more accurate and now want to know if its ok to turn the lights out when we go to bed?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, a day/night cycle is recommended, and yes you can turn the lighting off during the night (making sure the temps are o.k).
    I need to log out it`s late over here but keep asking questions, no doubt other members (in America) might still respond to you shortly.

6. Carly Marlowe

So it's the first morning after getting the correct equipment and I want to run these numbers by you guys.. We also took a really expensive gauge from my husband's tools used HVAC and we left the wire underneath the new hide we put in where she stayed all night. I moved that heating pad to underneath the new hide when it was apparent that was where she wanted to be, and I wanted to make sure she was getting too hot under there. At 10 last night we shut the lamps off, and left the heating pad going. At 6:30 this morning the temp read 68 degrees/54f% humidity on one side, 65 degrees/52% humidity on the other side, and 87.7 under the hide where she stayed all night. The pad was unplugged and the lamp turned back on, and currently I've got 78 degrees & 31% h, and 71 degrees & 41% h. She is camped out under that same spot still. I ended up using some file folders to cover some of the openings on the top, but will be changing over to foil or something else today to get a better seal. I also put a small water dish in the two corners of the tank where that lower humidity was, and will also pick up a spray bottle today for spritzing. If anyone else can think of anything I am missing, or need to add to my shopping list, please let me know.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I think the early morning ambient temps are too low, they may remain higher once you seal the top, if not too much difference it might be an idea to use a CHE.

8. Carly Marlowe

Thanks for getting back to me..I'm stumped on when we sleep in such a cold house how to maintain the heat in the tank with those lamps off. What exactly is a CHE? And what is that creature on your profile pic? It's huge! And really cool!

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

004_zpsec508e53[1].jpg A CHE is a ceramic heat emitter, it`s basically a bulb that emits heat but no light, very useful for increasing the ambient temps either during the day or night. I will tentatively suggest a 40w, quite cheap to buy, usually petshops will sell them or eBay (use a ceramic bulb holder) and make sure the snake can`t reach up and touch it.
    The animal in my avatar is my young male Varanus salvator macromaculatus (Asian water monitor), he`s currently just over 5 years old and measures 235cm, still growing though more slowly (they can get over 270cm (9 feet). I also have a juvenile "female" at around 7 months of age, still extremely wary but doing very well (no chance yet to introduce them). They are very closely related to the Komodo "dragon" (another Varanid or "monitor"). Extremely beautiful, intelligent and active animals, among the most advanced of all reptiles (you did ask)!
    mxcp004_zps2878be6f.jpg

6963744680_60758ab509[1].jpg 002_zps0b6b35c71_zpsb445805d[1].jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  10. Carly Marlowe

:) That is an impressive animal!! So are they hard to care for? What do they eat? I can't get over how big he is! I had to have some surgery back over the summer, and apparently when I was given the medication before I was totally knocked out I was asking everyone for a komodo dragon. I don't quite recall that, but my daughters both thought it was so funny seeing me all loopy asking their dad to get me one. So random...lol

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Almost all the Varanid species are carnivorous, taking anything they can catch from invert to vertebrate, there are several species that are also frugivorous.
    I don`t find them difficult to care for but I have many years experience, though there is a lot of work involved (time, lots and lots of patience, quite expensive to heat and feed, etc).
    They are mildly venomous, and extremely powerful, it`s thought that they`re twice as strong as a similar sized crocodile and have in many cases high aerobic scopes, oversized lungs with unidirectional blood flow, very high levels of oxygen in their blood when active which allows them to sustain rigorous activity for much longer than most other reptiles, in effect they can be described in many ways as "mammal like".
    Asian water monitors are the largest species available in the private sector (pet trade), millions are slaughtered for their skins, they`re also taken for "bush meat" (human consumption), but this subspecies at least is not endangered in the wild (they have a very large range).
    If you`d like to learn a little more, visit "venomdoc.com".
    Did your husband order the Komodo dragon or has he left you morbidly disappointed??
    I hope all this won`t detract from your thread too much, make sure you keep asking questions about your snake!

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi, I wasn't on over the weekend due to vending at the local reptile show and then playing catch up on Sunday. You've gotten some pretty good advice already, so the only thing I'll add is some possible help with stabilizing the ambient temperature in the tank. You might be well off to get some 1" thick insulation foam and cover the back, both ends, and as much of the top as you can without having the fixtures melt it. This tends to do a lot to raise ambients and help keep them stable. On, and your not the first person to be sucked in by those kits, so don't feel bad. Sad truth is though, about the only thing really usable in them is the tank, the top, which both need mods to make them work the best, and sometimes the light fixtures can be used.

13. Carly Marlowe

Thank you, Darkbird..Yes, I've been getting some great info over the weekend. I am pretty happy with the temps and humidity this morning. I believe we've finally got it figured out:) She ate well Saturday night. They were out of rat pups and large mice, so we bought the medium size mice. She struggled a bit with the first attempt. I guess this being the largest thing she's been fed had her a little confused! She finally got it figured out, but that still didn't really leave a noticeably big bulge in her after she got it down. As far as the kit we got, the only good thing about it was the size of the tank we got was a great price. It's sad how little the salesperson at Petsmart knew. She was obviously being way under-fed there,and pretty much everything they sold me and told me I needed was incorrect. I'm really thankful to have found this site, and all the great advice from everyone!
    @murrindindi , I will check out that site. I doubt an Asian water monitor will be on my dream list of animals I'd like to have some day. Something about that "mildly venomous" is a little scary. They are really cool though. It would be pretty fun to take one for a stroll on a leash downtown and see the looks from people passing by! Having no recollection before surgery of asking for a komodo and whatever other craziness came out of mouth from my drug-induced haze, I'd have been really confused if that's what he gave me when I woke up. Thankfully he stuck with the traditional flowers and balloons! lol
    So today I'm working on getting the top better sealed, but the temp is 82 degrees and 30% humidity on one side, 77 degrees and 40% humidity on the other..Hopefully that's making it more comfortable in there and she can digest that larger meal with ease!
    Thanks everybody for all of the input!

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sounds like the setup is coming together, just keep in mind though that your aiming for 50-60% humidity. It should come up more as things get sealed up.

15. Carly Marlowe

Up-dated picture of the enclosure..Added a couple more little hiding places, a larger water bowl and picked up a CHE today. We got the top sealed nicely, and have been misting with a water bottle and the humidity has finally been reaching 50-60%. I think we've finally got it right! Thanks for all the helpful info guys!

Attached Files:

Merlin and murrindindi like this.
  16. Carly Marlowe

One more pic of Emoji saying "Thank you HC folks for telling my mom to get this temp and humidity right..finally!"

Attached Files:

murrindindi likes this.
  17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, nice to hear you`ve got the conditions in place, your daughter has a beautiful looking snake! Keep us all updated...

18. Carly Marlowe

She definitely has expensive taste, but she is a really pretty snake. Thanks again for helping me all weekend!