This Disappears When Logged In

Complete at Last!!!

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Flint, May 14, 2010.

1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Well, it's been a year in the making, but my custom enclosure is finally done!!

Here's the thread I started when I had just drawn up the plans and began purchasing the wood:

http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/23824-new-project.html

Now, after a year of money and time restraints, I have finally completed the cage!!

And now the obligatory pics :D

0000061p.jpg
    Here is the full cage. Please excuse the horrid mess lol. The cage is at my best friend's appt, who is going to be a mommy in August so she is using the bottom portion to store some of the things people have bought for her. Then there's the rabbit cage to the lower left, rabbit blockades in the doorway to the right, and the martini/shot glass collection on top. And of course the cutesy design on the dividing strip was her idea... :rolleyes:

The top is for Flint the BRB, and the bottom section will someday hold a Yellow Ackie (hopefully)

0000055h.jpg

So here is the inside on the hot side with plants removed. You can see the smaller of the 2 log hides, and the "outdoor" remote sensor of the digital thermometer/hygrometer.

0000056.jpg

Here's the middle portion. i can't tell you how excited I was to find that climbing branch. It's all one massive branch, it fits perfectly into the cage. The bottom is the thicker portion that is mostly buried. Also the small leaf cluster is hiding the entrance to the larger log hide which I have also buried. This and the water dish are his favorite hides.

0000057.jpg

Here's the cool side with dog bowl for water (without the cover you will see soon). You can also see the large bottom portion of the climbing log butting out from the substrate a bit.

0000058u.jpg

Here is the radiant heat panel, which I LOVE!! I have it controlled 24/7 by a Helix Pulse Proportional Thermostat and the cage is always a perfect 85 degrees on the warm side, 77 on the cool side.

0000059.jpg

Lastly this is an overall view with the thermometer's base unit and water cover added in. Of course the humidity reading is low as I had been cleaning the cage for a few minutes before I took these pics. The cool side has yet to drop below 85%, and is usually in the 90's. The warm side may drop to 75 before it is misted again.

Well Flint has been living in here for a few weeks now and is doing great. I would have had pics up sooner but It wasn't until this week that I got my new camera lol. He sheds perfectly every time, and just today took his first rat fuzzy :D

Thanks all for taking a look!! Once I got everything sorted out, it was actually an awesome experience to put all this together myself and call it my own. My friend keeps telling people it's the sturdiest thing in the apartment haha

This was my first custom cage, and it won't be my last!

Attached Files:

2. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Looks wonderful!!! I could do something similar for my frogs......

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That looks amazing! Good job on it!

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it :D

You certainly should! It's really an awesome feeling to make something like this completely from raw materials. It's definitely not as cost effective as converting an old dresser or tv stand, but it is a worthwhile experience nonetheless. Not to mention you learn quite a bit about woodworking lol.

5. caiterlain

caiterlain Elite Member

Congrats! It looks good. I'm totally jealous.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Well done, great job!!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice enclosure, you must be proud, I know I would be:)