This Disappears When Logged In

Compact UVB Bulbs

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by clemsonguy1125, Mar 4, 2012.

1. clemsonguy1125

clemsonguy1125 Active Member

Im thinking of putting a small painted turtle in my native tank until he can move to my pond. Can the compact UVB bulbs hurt turtles eyes? I remember reading a article a while ago with a few reports of swollen eyes but also read that the issues were being fixed. Are their any updates.
    Thanks

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not sure on that info, however compact UVB bulbs don't project the UV rays very far.
    They are not really an effective way of supplying UVB.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. A compact is not going to provide enough UVB for a turtle.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Aside from the points already made... I have also heard of the possible dangers of compact flourescents, and would advise against them. I havn't heard of any "fixes" being made to this type of bulb, but even if they were made safer I would still avoid them in the future. There are much better ways of providing UVB.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

UV Guide tested various bulbs years ago based on reported occurrences of PKC (Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis) which actually prompted a few of those manufacturers to either reformulate their bulb designs and or tighten QC to prevent such instances. That said, I don't believe UV Guide ever revisited their article since the changes were made...they have had quite a while to do so, so I'm not quite sure what the deal is.

In the end I tend not to recommend the use of CFL UVB bulbs based on their weak and or inconsistent output and infamous history--Manufacturers of these bulbs really need to prove they can be used not only effectively, but safely. As others posted above, there are much better UVB sources out there, namely MVB bulbs and standard or high output fluorescent bulbs. For most species of turtle a standard/HO fluorescent would be the best bet. Look into Arcadia UVB fluorescent lighting (lightyourreptiles.com), they are very respected manufacturers of UVB lighting.