This Disappears When Logged In

Compact Florescent Uvb

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Ipanda, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Hey I was given a donation of 5 zoomed reptisun 10.0 compact florescent uvb bulbs, a feed store here clearanced their reptile stuff, and they didn't sell... I have never used these before, so I know nothing about them... I'd really like some opinions, info about them, and the down and dirty....

Thanks in advance,
    Char

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

They are garbage in my opinion for iguanas, or any real high uvb loving critters, but that is just my opinion. How old are they?

3. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

They are brand spanken new... The feed store said they are better when you use polished metal reflecters...

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

The problem with those things is that the iguana has to be so close to them it is pointless. They pretty much lose all uvb at about 6 or so inches away, they then become a pointless bulb. That is the reason I use MVB as they have a higher distance where the uvb is still penetrating at great levels. That is why I gave you a Mega Ray, to show you the difference, If you use those on your iguana, I will almost guarantee you that he will take a step towards the back in his recovery. Keep him on the Mega Ray I gave you. You need to replace that in about 3 months though.

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Oh, by the way, I have a lot of brand new things in my house that are useless, lol.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

They would probably work okay for a smaller species enclosure such as Day geckos.

7. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Yeah, I wasn't planning on using them for the Ig... He's got his new bulb on the way...

That's what I was kinda thinking, use them if I get someone in that requires low level uv radiation.... (or just use them as plain old lights)

With the compact florescent uvb bulbs, I've heard they can actually hurt lizards, damaging eyes and skin? The report was taken offline, but I'd like an opinion on that too, please.

Thanks

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Can't say I've heard of that.
    However there are bulbs on the market where the levels of UVB are not controlled as they are manufactured.
    Too much UVB can definitely do damage.

I've never heard of that with the brand you have.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

10. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Yup. Everyone is correct.

Compact Fluorescent lamps are ok for lower level UV exposure and should most certainly be used in conjunction with a highly reflective hood.

Mystic Compact lamps are the ones that caused problems in lizard eyes as the lamp emitted extremely high levels of UV radiation.

Either use the lamps for other creatures (would be good for snakes) or donate them to a shelter where there is no UV (a little is better than none).

Definitely not good for Igs unless you put them all together, in highly reflective hoods, lined in foil, all aimed at the ig, who needs to be 4" away. LOL!

11. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Sounds like it would have more of an easy bake oven effect than anything else...

12. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

LOL! Pretty much! :p

13. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I plugged one in, seems like they produce a quite a bit of visable light... Could it hurt to use them as "light bulbs" instead of "uvb bulbs"?

14. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

If you do use it as just a regular light, be careful about where you put it. If you put in in say a reading lamp that you are going to be spending hours under, it might not be too good for you. I don't know the specifics about how much UVB it takes for melanoma to occur but I would think it would be possible...

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

That is an interesting question. Iguanas and such are high level uvb creatures, but if you are talking about humans, we are not. That causes skin cancer with us. I cannot tell you though what level of uvb we have to have to become dangerous. I can tell you though that your windows filter out uvb, sunglasses, etc. So I do not think that it would be a wise choice to use it as a light for your house, lol. I know with the Mega Ray, it is designed to shoot straight down, instead of all over the place which makes it safer for us, as humans, and naturally better for the critter.

16. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Oh no lol, I was meaning to use it like I use normal light bulbs in cages. Just to have good lighting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.