This Disappears When Logged In

Community herp tank

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Crazyhermitcrab, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Crazyhermitcrab

Crazyhermitcrab New Member

This is my first post so idk if its in wrong spot.

I might build a big enclosure for all the animals I find in my native area. Im thinking 4 ft, by 4 ft, by 8 ft. Its 1k gallons. Would there be I was i can house multiply native animals. We have snakes, lizards, toads, turtles, newts, salamanders, frogs, etc. Its NJ

2. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

You can put them in the same cage and some will just eat others :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bad idea. And more so since I am guessing that you have no experience with any of them?
    The few multispecies enclosures that I have seen actually work was where the keeper already had a working knowledge of the animals involved. This enabled them to refrain from mixing species that would prey on each other as well as placing animals which would occupy different parts of the ecosystem. Even though its all the same location, you would be surprised at the amount of different micro habitats that would be involved and trying to replicate all of that into an enclosure is a serious undertaking.
    You can't just go out, grab a bunch of animals and toss them together.

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You have to remember, all those native animals don't use the same areas, and they also have the option of getting away from each other in the wild. Even in a cage that large you'd have a hard time mixing more than a couple species. To put it another way, take a trip to a large zoo, and cheack out their reptile setups. You will find that most if not all of them are single species setups. While it's not impossible to mix species, it is something best left to advanced hobbyists with a thorough knowledge of the species involved, and that means having kept them in captivity successfully before trying to mix them.

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Whichever of them may have survived the initial terrible shock of their enforced proximity, like maybe the turtle and the snake (boa?), would still then vote to be alone or with like species, every time.