This Disappears When Logged In

Common Insecticide Can Decimate Tadpole Population

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

New research suggests that routine use of the pesticide malathion -- the most popular insecticide in the United States -- can decimate tadpole populations by altering their food chain.

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Common Insecticide Can Decimate Tadpole Populations?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Common Insecticide Can Decimate Tadpole Popula

Not good!
    Considering that many areas of the US routinely douse the entire landscape in malathion to control mosquitos!
    We just keep digging a deeper and deeper hole!

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I agree. I'm not sure how many more ways we can come up with destroying the planet for our own convenience before she just hammers back and poof! We are gone.

4. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

You would have thought that the powers that be learned their lesson with the widespread use of DDT. How long did it take back then for them to realize the destruction it was causing. DDT filtered down to every living thing, directly and indirectly. Just look at the American Bald Eagle. The Eagle is mainly a fish eater. The fish feed on smaller fish. The smaller fish feed on insects, larvae, infusoria, plankton, etc. The DDT got into the Eagles in a roundabout way, but still caused the eggshell to weaken so much that the adults couldn't sit on them to incubate them. The eggs just kept on breaking. This condition didn't happen overnight, but built up over a long period of time. DDT didn't/doesn't go away. The compound sticks around forever. We almost lost the Bald Eagle, and there are other species that went through this serious decimation. Some pulled through, others didn't. Swordfish contain huge amounts of Mercury, as does the large fish in the Great Lakes. I believe Salmon are affected by this also. The article doesn't mention if there is going to be any danger to other species higher up in the food chain. Does Malathion break down after a time or does it gradually increase in the fatty tissues and eventual destruction as did DDT? I hate mosquitos!! I also do not want to contract West Nile Virus or Malaria or Eastern Equine Encephalitis,(EEE). There has to be a better way, all the way around.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Unfortunately, we know that frog populations are a clear indicator of environmental changes. When the frog populations decline, something is adversely effecting the environment.

I remember when I was a kid gowing up in NJ. The "Bug spray" truck would run up and down our suburban streets emitting a fog of pesticides to kill off the mosquitos. As kids, back in the 60's we just went to the back yard, or held our breath until the truck passed. I shutter to think of what all that pesticide has done to us in the long term?

As WG states, when will we learn our lessons and get smarter as a society? When all the frogs are gone??

6. Merlin

More likely,...
    when all the humans are gone!

7. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

We all know what the Good Book says; "the meek shall inherit the earth"

8. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I remember the mosquito truck also. If I recall, they came down all the side and main streets 2 or 3 times at the end of spring, and maybe every two to three weeks during the summer up to just past Labor day. Sometimes I do wonder why I can't think straight, or can't focus! Duh?

9. nicole

nicole Elite Member

A mosquito truck? Wow that is some great thinking, I have never heard of a truck just come coming by and spraying pesticides, lol. I do remember growing up in California with the crop dusters spraying stuff all the time.

10. Merlin

Nicole in some parts of the country it was very common. In some areas it still is.
    In fact there was a bit on the news recently where a young couple were walking down the street with their infant, when one of the trucks came down the street and hosed all three of them with pesticide.
    Apparently it is procedure for the neighborhoods to be notified that the trucks are going to be spraying in that area on that date and they failed to notify anyone!

11. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Come to think of it, the mosquito spray trucks weren't half as bad as the Agent Orange that was dumped all over us. We were warned too, a lot of good that did, my memory is still full of holes! (LMAO several times)

12. Merlin

As the old commercial used to say,...
    Better living thru chemistry!

Yeah! Right!

13. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

You would defintley know it if you saw one, that's for sure. Those things are loud as heck and they choose to come by my neighborhood at around 9pm, which is just ridiculous. Some people gotta get up early.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.