This Disappears When Logged In

Common Information Needed when Health Issues Arise?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by CTScrivener, Dec 9, 2009.

1. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

Ok, I know I haven't been a member here long but I had a thought. Why not compile all the commonly required information that is required when people say, "My herp is sick, can you help" into a small single thread....maybe stickied in the future so new members know what information they need to provide us to recieve a quicker, more helpful response. I mean, we all know that when someone says thier herp is sick, most of the time the first reply is asking for the required information.

I don't know all the required information but here are the few I thought would be helpful, please add to the list stating the information I'm leaving out.

Basking area temps:
    Cool side temps:
    Warm side temps:
    Water temps: (this really only applies to turtles and amphibian herps I guess)
    Diet:
    Humidity levels:

Uhm, I know I'm leaving a bunch of stuff out but I know this information helps the more experienced members answer health related question quicker and more accurately.

BTW, I'm not bashing anyone for not putting this information in thier posts nor am I anoyed that they don't...I'm just trying to help everyone out and make things easier. =)

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They usually do give a rundown of the animals symptoms, but you're right, getting the environment stats would help a lot too.

Maybe night time temps
    finding out if any supplement is used
    Type of substrate an animal is housed on
    Is it housed individually, or with other animals

3. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

Yeah, I know most people tend to put the symptoms....just figured a good outline for enviromental status would help make things move faster.

Thus far we have:

Basking area temps:
    Cool side temps:
    Warm side temps:
    Night temps:
    Water temps(if applicable):
    Humidity level:
    Substrate(s) used:
    Diet:
    Supplement(s) used:
    Sex(if known):
    Housed individually, or has cage mates:

Correct?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

knowing the species and gender of cage mates will help too.

5. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

Ah, true true....good point there Dragon, keeping me on my toes!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As well as cage type, size and description.

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Don't forget the make and model of UVB lighting, also a vital bit of info.

8. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Age, length of ownership, point of origin (O.K. what I mean is; where or from whom did you purchase/rescue), breeding history (or, in the case of the stuffin' heads, has it been breaded?).

9. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

**SNORT** How about if it has been marinated??

Ok, sorry - this is a GREAT idea as you are correct, these are the questions that tend to get asked before anyone can give advice. (Kelly just brings out the worst in me... :p)

And to add to the list - type of thermometer or humidity gauge that is used to obtain those temps and humidity levels.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

AND fried!

I think knowing make and model of all heaters and lighters applied to said enclosure would be helpful, UVB, CHE, UTH, the works.

jeeze, we are demanding people!

11. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

We may be demanding but think of it like this: People come here for help many times before they even consider the vet. These are all things that should be stated in the original post. How else are we supposed to help people? Any and all of these things could cause potential health problems. It's really not asking too much!

12. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

Everyone has brought up good points and added very good required information to the list.

I just figured having this list filled out, even if it's only SOME of the questions answered....would help the process of aiding the herps MUCH quicker. I know it would definately help the fact that in all health related posts, the first 5-6 posts are other members asking this information and unless it's an obvious problem....have no real advice to give yet.

I'm gonna compile it all into a good list and we'll see what we got so far as far as information goes.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This list will also save us having to ask repeatedly - or, like me, forget half of what I needed to know in the first place!

14. CTScrivener

CTScrivener Elite Member

How does something like this sound so far, btw....LONG post, just a warning ahead of time.

Attention, to better aid you in the diagnosis of your herp please provide as much of the following information as possible. The more information you can provide to us, the quicker and easier is will be for the members of HC to help you come to a conclusion as the correct course of action to take. Please note that the help provided should NOT be a substitute for taking your herp to a professional reptile vet ASAP should the need arise. This list of common required information is not provided as a guideline or caresheet, as is only to be used as an aid in diagnosing NON-EMERGENCY herp health related issues.

-- General Herp Information --

1. Species:
    2. Gender:
    3. Age:
    4. Length:
    5. Weight:
    6. Length of ownership:
    7: Place of purchase/adoption:
    8: Are they currently, or have they ever been used for breeding:
    9. Are they housed alone, or with other herps:
    10. If they are house with other herps, please the list the following information for every additional inhabitant of current enclosure:
    A. Species:
    B. Gender:
    C. Age:​

-- General Cage/Enclosure Information --

1. Cage dimensions in (length x width x height) format:
    2. Cage material/type (i.e. glass, wood, screen, etc.):
    3. Substrate(s) used:
    4. Please provide the following temperature readings:
    A. Basking area:
    B. Cool side:
    C. Warm side:
    D. Night time:
    E. Water:​
    5. Humidity level:
    6. UVB lighting present, please answer yes or no then provide make, model, and wattage for each bulb present:
    7. Plese provide make, model, and wattage for each of the following heating and lighting accessories:
    A. Basking bulb:
    B. UVB bulb:
    C. Ceramic heat emitter:
    D. Under tank heat:
    E. Day time bulb:
    F. Night time bulb:​
    8. Are thermometers/hygrometers present in the cage, please answer yes and no and provide make, model, and type (digital or mechanical) for each present:

-- Health and Diet --

1. Please provide a brief description of the diet:
    2. Are supplements (calcium, vitamins, etc.) given, please answer yes or no and provide company and product name as well as frequency of use for each:
    3. Please provide a brief description of any health related issues your herp has experienced in the past six months:
    4. Please provide a breif description of any symptoms (nasal discharge, abnormal stool, sores, swollen limbs, oral discharge, etc.) that have caused you to assume there is a health related issue with your herp:

15. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

You summarized that very nicely -- but golly we ARE a demanding group! :)

I think this is an excellent idea, although the lengthy list may be a little daunting.

Nice job, and again - good idea~

16. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Very nicely done. There a way we could post this on the home page? So someone could copy and paste it into a thread? Label it: "Asking For Help? Help Us Help You" or something like that.

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

It would be so nice for the people posting though as well if they provide all this info in the post asking for help. Then they will actually get an answer with out us having to ask it each and every time.

18. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

This is a great idea!! :) Will be super helpful! I think it's a good idea for this list to be here, so people will realize they have to know all these things BEFORE a problem occurs. Will probably help people stay aware of changes and related health problems in their animals

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Maybe rich could set it up for the first thing it asks you when you sign up. like do you have an animal you have an immediate health question about your pet?

If click yes, then click speices, then fill out form

I have no idea how to do web stuff though to know if that is possible

20. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Or it could at least be a sticky thread, or when posting a comment there could be a link to it