This Disappears When Logged In

Common Frog?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Shadowfrog, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowfrog

Shadowfrog Member

I suppose this question might go to UK residents or anyone with this frog which isn't native to where you live.

The other day I went into the back garden to continue digging a wild-life pond but as I walked past the pond with fish in it I noticed something a the bottom of the pond. As I had a closer look I noticed a common frog latched its arms around one of the fish, at first I thought frog-on-frog as how the one on top looks but realised they don't normally start mating yet. I grabbed a net and it took me a while to catch them, finally did and took me a while to detach them while being gentle.

I seriously don't think the frog was trying to eat it as the fish is proberly a little bigger. Any help would be really usefull.

Thanks.

2. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Very strange, never heard of this before. Some pics would have been awesome!

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

its possible he was trying to eat, i guess it depends on how much bigger the fish was. Common frog is very vague. Can you post a photo of the frog? maybe find one on google images of the same kind of frog?

4. Shadowfrog

Shadowfrog Member

5. schlegelbagel

its the new sport among frogs. Fish wrestling!

6. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

"LLLLLLETS GET READY TO BUBBLE!" sorry I could not resist the comment.

I have read that frogs are not very selective feeders, and my pac man and the toads I raised would eat just about anything that moved. It is possible that the fog dove into the water thinking that the fish was much smaller than it was and once there he just decided to keep eating and hope he could get it down.

p.s. I would definitely put my money on the frog

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds to me more like amplexus.
    When frogs get started they will even grab other males.

8. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

thats what i am thinking.... Alot of animals have been known to "mate" with many objects...a fish could resemble a frog.

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

My toads used to latch on to anything they could get their arms around when the mood hit them, frogs, logs, cage decor you name it!

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

There's actually a frog called the common frog, Rana temporaria. They're native to Europe, and that's the frog he was talking about.

And yeah, as many others have said, he was probably just "in the mood" and a fish was in the wrong place at the wrong time :p

11. schlegelbagel

poor fish, so violated!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not to mention SURPRISED!

13. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

So what would come of that?

Frish?
    Fog?

LOL