This Disappears When Logged In

Columbian Tegu Diet... Substrate.. Etc...

Discussion in 'Tegu' started by Hkg, May 29, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Hey. I got a 2 year old male columbian tegu. I've had him about a week. And I've tried not to bother him to much. He is super shy and doesn't like to move if I'm watching or eat if I'm watching. If I get close to him he huffs and puffs, which I can understand. He's scared. One question I have is what is your tegu menu? There is sooooo many different opinions out there I have no clue what one to go with. The day after I got him I put a small bowl of raw egg, raw ground turkey, and a cut up grape an he at the egg but nothing else. I kinda expected that because the last owner said he is addicted to egg. Today I fed him raw ground turkey with a cut up grape. No egg. He ate it all. In about two big bites and he was done, I offered more but he would take it. What else should I feed. I realize he can't live off ground turkey and grapes. It's just temporary (this week). What do you feed? I'm afraid to feed a mouse because of what people say about impaction. And as for calcium, I'm Preston some off lllreptile tomorrow. With no d3. When I fed the egg I smashed the shell up in it too. I feed him in cage right now. Due to him not letting me get close to him with out freaking out. But don't worry he is just in reptile carpet for the moment. Once he is somewhat handle able I will give him plea Ty of substrate to burrow in. Speaking of which what substrate should I use? I was planning on Eco earth but I change my mind. I want something I can see his poop in just incase I can't get him to go in the tub. Holds good burrows, and humidity, and won't impact him easily. I won't be feeding in the cage I just want to play it on the safe side anyways. And I don't know if it's a problem but I not want a substrate that'll get stuck in his nostrils or eyes, y'know? I'm just a worried new tegu owner looking to have your knowledge blessed upon me. I'm out of school on June 6 so I'll be able to work with Harper (tegu) right now he is in a 4' by 2 1/2' by 1' vision cage. It fits right now. But barely. In a month or so I'm gonna build a bigger cage with deep substrate for his burrowing needs. So yeah... Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know the basic care and everyhing so no need for that.
    image.jpg

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ok, not to be mean or nothing, this is why we try to tell people to do the research for months to years before getting the animal.... this is why some/most animals do not live thier life expectancy..... you can feed mice even rats depending on its size in a bowl or if he thrashes around get him a piece of ceramic tile or slate that is big enough to take up a quarter to prob half the cage to eat on..... but feed whole meals, they are alot more healthier then the gound turkey or beef as it still has the bones and very valuable organs in it, but you can feed mice, rats, chicks...... baby or small rabbits.... and an adult tegu cage will need to be at least 4-5 feet tall 3-4 feet deep and 5-6 feet wide with half of the tallness being 2-2 1/2 feet of substrate to burrow in, and the best substrate would be regular bio-active (self cleaning) substrate (get regular dirt (dark and damp kind) you dig out of your yard, and some dead leaves, and a rotting, falling apart log with critters (wood mites and isopods), some dry grass clippings, and a few little critters like millipedes, centipedes, and those little gray pill bugs and mix it all together), or a potting soil, sphaggnam moss, and play sand mix that holds shape (of burrows) and moisture well.......

3. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Trust me I have done months of research. I first saw tegus 4 years ago. And instantly wanted one. I have researched ever sense. I know they caging needs and what people feed them. I am moving soon so I'm not going to start a building project till we do move (a week) I will however build him a big cage. I'm planning on a 8'x4'x4 or 5' cage with a foot or two of substate. Like I said I know the care. I just wanted to know what other columbian owners do. There is so much false info on the internet I wanted to know what's worked for who. I'm planning on feeding mice as well. It's just I read that the fur and such can impact them, and I've read other wise as well. As for the substrate you suggested the bugs and such won't harm him?
    Again he is in good care. I have done plenty of research. I just want some fellow tegu owner advice.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

no the bugs wont, and actually you may have to replentish them after a while as he may eat a few..... lol. but i doubt the furr will impact them as thats what they have evolved to eat..... and dont get me wrong i wasnt saying that you dont know what you are doing, i just wasnt sure if this was an impulsive acquisition......

5. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Oh. I see. It wasn't 100% impulsive. In my area there are tons of big reptiles on Craigslist. Because people don't know what they are getting into. There's boas burms tegus iguanas monitors etc... My tegu was owned by a guy who is joining the air force. I took him in so that he wontbe another tegu neglected and put on Craigslist again. I was always planning on getting a tegu, it was a little sooner than I planned but still. I am confident I can care for him. If I can't, I help a guy with over 16 years of reptile expierence with his reptile rescue. He said he can help if need be. I have a back up plan

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

ok, good luck then on your new adventure....

7. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Thank you! I'll definitely need it. I'm always worried about him. I want him to be happy and healthy. Thank you for your advice and such.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Mixture of organic cypress mulch (no chemicals added), soil, leaves, and a little sand. That's what I used. I did not put bugs in there.

I've never heard of beef being a food. I've always heard turkey, chicken, etc ground up with bones. Never heard the beef. They also need veggies and fruits............. :)

9. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Must be a new thing. I've never heard of it until I read a post on here.

Here is why: those bugs you have that your digging out of the ground. Did they come from your neighbors house where they just used a crap load of chemicals to make the grass greener? Think about it. If your digging bugs up for your bio active soil, chances are they have pesticides or chemicals on them or in them or whatever. Chemical fertilizers, weed killers, bug killers, weed and fee's are so common now a days that you can get them at a dollar store. If your tegu gets some of those bugs and eats them he could be hurt or worse.

Please think about what you post. You should never get bugs, animals out of your yard. Nor should you use soil, etc for those same reasons.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  11. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I wasn't going to use the bug or soil idea. I took it into consideration, but I want my tegu to be healthy. And I don't want risk it. And I have no soil that id want to dig up. And my parents use chemicals sadly. I do know people use the bug ideas though. I saw this guy on YouTube who does it for his savanna monitors. It seems to work fine but I still don't want to use it. What else do y'all suggest for substrate? He loves to burrow. I can already tell. I find him moving rocks and sleeping under the reptile carpet all the time.

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

i would go with the spaggnam moss soil and play sand as it holds humidity and burrows well.....