This Disappears When Logged In

Color Me a SUCKER!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Lucysfriend, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Well as I was vacuuming the house this afternoon, I heard a knock at the door. There was my neighbor with a cardboard box. In the box was a tortoise! She asked me if I wanted it, she thought it looked like mine. A RT.
    I said yes, it was found by their greenhouses in Port Washington! That's 25 miles away from me. LOL My husband was grocery shopping with my daughter.
    I soaked it, set up a Sterlite box for it. A water bowl, some greens, I will be getting a MV light tonight. I happened to have everything but the MV bulb! I had a extra water bowl, a ceramic clamp light, ect. Even a cuttlebone,lol.
    I have no idea what sex it is, it has an overgrown beak, and very smooth claws. It looked underweight. It immediately warmed under the temp. floresent bulb, and started chowing down right away. I will quarantine it for a long time. It's on paper towels for now cause I need a poo sample. I bet the vet will have to trim that beak down too. I have no idea if I will ever put it with Penelope or not. I am just happy to help it, it's definately someone's pet. My neighbor told me that I was a "reptile freak"and she knew that I would help,LOL.
    Here are some pics while it was eating.
    We are naming it either "Houdini" or "Simon" Hahahaha.
    Watch it will be another girl,lol.
    It's in my rec room downstairs, no where near any reptiles, just in case of mites!

Attached Files:

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh that is just lucky for the little tort! I think you should have said, "That is reptile super freak to you." Simon converts to Simone very easily :-".

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Agree, he is indeed a luck guy that someone who cares found him and knew you would be able to help!

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Aww man! I want it! I'm in WI ya know! lol

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

LOL :)
    I haven't figured if I will keep it or not yet...*big eyes*
    Haha

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

sucker indeed.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I'm not sure if it is true for all turtles/tortoises, but I have heard that males have a hollowed out portion on their belly. This is to aid in the mating process (you probably already know that, but I thought I would pass on that piece of sage advice). I don't know if being underweight affects that part of the shell or not. Good luck bringing him back to his/her former glory.

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

But just in case you find that you don't really wanna keep him..... hint, hint.... lol
    Merlin can vouch for me! I've known him for years and years...OK we're old! LOL

9. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I am old too LOL. But I refuse to act my age :)
    Are you serious? Or are you just joking???
    He needs a vet checkup soon, but he's doing really well.

10. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

But really how can you resist this face?? LOL
    You guys can see the beak also.

Attached Files:

11. Kushun

Kushun Elite Member

Wow you are lucky. I wish my neighbors cared about animals as much as yours do.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

yeah, the beak needs a trim, but at least it looks like he's been getting his UVB. Shell looks good.

13. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

he is adorable...easy way to sex these guys...males have a long tail that will extend almost to their leg joint, females tails are short.

14. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

LOL I have read that but he/she tucks it in so well it's hard to see! I noticed that it's relaxing somewhat not so scared as when I first saw him/her.
    thought the shell was good too. :)

15. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Here's an update. The fecal came back positive for hookworms. Phillip is driving to the vet as I write this. The med is once a week for 4 weeks, I don't know the name of it yet but it is costing only 12 dollars. The fecal was $22.00.
    At that time I will take the tort in for the check up and another fecal to see if it's clear. The tort weighs 404 grams or 14.3 oz.
    Just writing this down for new tort owners info. :)

The medication is Panacur. And it took me about 10 minutes to get that tort to open the mouth JUST enough to get it in there,LOL.
    Harder even still with that enlarged beak! Haha.

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great that you were able to get a fecal sample! He/she is a real beautiful, so when is the beak going to be trimmed?

17. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Probably when I take the tort in for a check up in a month. :)

18. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Yes I was serious! s/he is way too cute!!

19. Pumapard

Pumapard Elite Member

Aww... adorable.I love tortoises!

20. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Are you sure it's a Red foot and not a Greek or a Yellow foot??