This Disappears When Logged In

Colombian Vs Dumerils

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by TitoAndKatt, Jan 28, 2011.

1. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Ok so since I am not getting the CL boa Merv, I guess I need to decide what kind of Boa I might want to get in the future. ;) I REALLY like both Colombians and Dumerils. I like that Colombians get BIG (and fast - I am not very patient lol) - I like big snakes (any bigger than a boa though is too big for me lol). I think Colombians are gorgeous snakes, but Dumerils' patterns are quite stunning. I like that Dumerils are ambush hunters too. I know that they are both docile (is one more so than the other) and easy keepers. But I want to get together a longer, more thorough list of pros and cons and characteristics of the two. So, anyone who owns or has owned either of these Boas, please chime in! :)

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The Columbian I used to have was fairly active, which is something I find a must in snakes. I don't care for snakes that just lay there all curled up. I supplied him with a fairly tall habitat with branches and he did you them a lot.

He was also quite docile and only struck at me in the first few days I got him as a baby.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Columbians are generally quite docile and easily handled. SOme Dums will take to handling fine and some are a bit on the shy side and don't care for it too much.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hmm that is good input thanks Merlin! I prefer social snakes that enjoy being handled. If I got a Dumerils and it was shy and I mostly let it be so it didn't stress as much, would it be more prone to striking when i Did take it out do you think? Or are they still pretty docile temperament wise whether they ar shy or not?

5. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i dont know how set you are on these two boas, but there is a guyana that is extremely beautiful and fairly inexpensive, might check it out.

6. Merlin

A shy snake is a snake that is more likely to give you a defensive bite. It is going to be stressed by being pulled out and handled. A dumerals is going to be a crapshoot as to which it grows up to be.

7. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

There was a really good article in the latest issue of Reptiles on Dumerils Boas and they seemed really cool. It's worth looking at and reading if you can find it.

8. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Hmm....define "inexpensive?" lol I live in Alaska as well, so shipping can be a bit complicated - and spendy! :/ By the Guyana you mean like an actual red tail right? While I do want a nice big beefy snake, I do not want one that will get too big. The Colombian boas I can handle, they are right about at my limit, but the true Red Tails get even bigger. I am not totally confident that I could handle a 12 foot snake on my own (or house it!) when it reached full size and I would be heartbroken to have to rehome it. Big Colombians are right about at my size limit. Though Rad Tails are very beautiful and in reality I would LOVE to have one! *sigh*

Ok That was sort of my thinking. So no Dumerils then. :(

Yes, I did see that.

9. Merlin

Just keep in mind that although the majority of the BCIs will be 5-8 ft, 9-10 ft have been seen and it is claimed that the maximum length is 12 ft. But that would be exceedingly uncommon.

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

But I mean, when he gets close to the size I want, I can just stop feeding him as often so he will stop growing right? :confused: That will also make him a bit weaker from malnutrition so he will be more docile and easily handled. I mean...that is what people on CL do...

;) >:) I saw an add or two to that effect about not feeding a snake often so it would grow slower. I wanted to call them up and give them a piece of my mind! :mad: I think it was a BP.
    Then there is THIS guy: Central American Red Tail Boa Who claims his baby snake is "cranky" because he is in hibernation season....Nooo, he is Cranky because you only feed him 2 mice a Month and he is a growing baby who needs to eat once a Week! :mad:

How do people become so idiotic? :(

Merlin, if the Columbian Boa, by some off chance luck of the draw, happened to be one of the Few who get that big, then I would deal with it at that point. I would have had a chance to build up to handling that size (as it grew gradually) so I would be accustomed to it somewhat. But if I could not handle it or house it, I would want the best for the snake and do what I could to find it an experienced, loving home. IF I could not keep it. That said, I sure hope that I would not need to do that, and I really doubt it would get that big. Yes, it Might, but it probably won't. I would approach the situation as it occurred, at that point I might very well feel confident in handling a beast that size. The majority though don't get that size, so I have pretty good odds.

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

What is the difference between Colombian and Central American?

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh and another question, if I were to decide to buy online from a breeder (would have to be in the summer of course) does anyone have suggestions for breeders?

13. warneri

warneri Elite Member

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I'll make a deal with you...IF you get a boa and IF it gets to 9 feet, I will take it off of your hands if you feel you can not handle it. I will even pay for shipping. I have 5 of them and my oldest is around 7 years old (female). She is only around 7 feet and such a sweetheart!! I think if you get one you will fall in love and NEVER give her size a second thought. But, if you are not comfortable with it, I will gladly take it. I don't offer that to just anyone.

15. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

No offense but why would you be getting any snakes if you are on this forum looking for help with the ones you currently have? If one of my Anacondas was sick and I had issues taking care of it the last thing I would do is go out and get another snake to add to the mess.

16. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Suuuuure...You get a fantastic snake for just the cost of shipping? Sounds like a win for you! ;) :D But I will keep that in mind if/when I get one. Though I do agree with you in that I highly doubt I would ever want to get rid of it. ;)

17. Rob

Rob Elite Member

Snakes get sick and just cause one of her snakes is sick does not mean she cant take care of snakes. I could see if it was someone that just wasnt good with herps. But katt seems to have a good head on her shoulders. I am sure she wouldnt take on something she couldnt handle.

18. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Thank You. :x I appreciate your vote of confidence. :)

19. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

You should always handle current issues before going further and creating possible new ones.

I remember your old post about Rock Pythons and Pigs but forgot to reply. Point Blank Rocks make awful pets. They get huge, have terrible dispositions, and are generally one of the most unrewarding of the giants to keep.

Feeding pigs is bad because of the high amount of PH they have, they also decompose very fast and a lot of fellow large snake owners have had their snakes go through serious bloating because of it, they are garbage when compared to rabbits or even rats as far as nutritional value is considered.