This Disappears When Logged In

Cold Gecko

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Ptotherice, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

I don't know how they are supposed to feel to the touch, but I have been letting my gecko crawl over my hand a lot, and his belly and tail feel kinda cold. Enough to make me post about it, but then again, as you guys know, it doesn't take much. d: I'm just worried Gangster might be a little too cold and that is why he is being so lethargic. The temps are around 90 in the air on the warm side and around 80 on the cold side during the day. Maybe dropping or rising a few degrees on the days my dorm's AC over works or doesn't work.

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I got the following from the caresheet:
    Leopard Gecko Caresheet (Eublepharis macularius) - Reptile Information - Caresheets Database

The ideal temperature range to house a leopard gecko at would be 85-90 degrees in the "basking spot". (That would be where the uth is located.)

The cooler end of the enclosure should not fall below 70 degrees but should also not exceed 79 degrees. Ideally, a range between 74-78 degrees should be aimed for. There should be a hide spot located on this end of the enclosure as well.

You say the cold side is 80, judging from the above, it seems to be to hot.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you look back you have answered your own question.;)
    A human body temperature is 98 degrees. That is several degrees warmer than the hottest temperature suggested for the gecko. So its body will always feel cool to you. Thats where the common term "cold blooded" came from.
    If it felt warm to you then I would be concerned.

4. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

See what paranoia does to you? It completely kills logical thinking... Thank you Merlin. And I've been working on the cold side wildheart, I have angled one of the lights better and it has dropped to around 76 :) Thanks for the help and the slap in the face to get me to think straight haha.

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Ptotherice, don't feel bad. I asked the same question about my tree frogs -- same answer, of course.

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you"... are a nut, as it says in my 'name';):)

6. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

haha, Agreed 100%

7. fightingfeeders

fightingfeeders Elite Member

as far as i know, a gecko should feel at least a little cold to teh touch. If it doesnt, then you have problems

8. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

As could be quoted by Merlin d: Thanks though.

9. conor

conor New Member

Geckos and all other reptiles are cold blooded so it is in there nature to be cold i would not worry if he was cold,but don't be worried to ask these questions,we are always going to help you with any queries.;)

10. Ptotherice

Ptotherice Elite Member

Which is why I love this place. I get confused about stuff I already know often ha.

11. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I have to ad that my Dragons and Iguana are very seldom cold to the touch when I take them out of their enclosures. The only time that they actually are cold is when I've had them out for some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.