This Disappears When Logged In

Coconut Crabs

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Hybrid, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

Is there any way to legally obtain and keep coconut crabs as pets? just curious

2. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I don't know why you couldn't after doing a quick Google research they are edible and in the food market, as well as it looks like people keep them as pets as well.

3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

yes, actually- i know many pet shops and hermit crab stands selling young coconut crabs as strawberry hermit crabs, you can tell the difference because straws have no hairs and pitch black eyes, wheras young coconuts have yellow eyes with pupils, and no hair.

ps, i live near toronto, but have also seen this in ottowa and the gta and goa.

4. beth96c

beth96c Active Member

Yes! I know you definetly can in the US, I actually kept them for a while, and let me tell you, If you do not want a very very high matinence pet, I would not get coconut crabs or even hermit crabs for that matter,

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I've never met someone with a coconut crab before! I'd love to see some in the wild one day! They're scarily huge! It'd be interesting to see how you would keep one as a pet. I wonder if they need large sturdy enclosures as they're good climbers, and to see it actually eating a coconut!