This Disappears When Logged In

Coconut Chunks

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by yzfracer347, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

We picked up a large bag of coconut chunks for the bedding of our new boa. It looks beautiful, clean and is light. I dont remember the brand but we got it from petsmart. Anyone use this stuff or have any thing to say about it. Im going to post some pics of it later.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do you mean coconut husk?
    I've never used it.
    All my critters are on paper or aspen shavings.

3. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

Yea probally husk, I dont really remember and im at work right now so I cant look. I`m just wondering if people who have been using it have had any problems with humidity, cleaning or anything else.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i know what he is talking about. Its like the shredded coco-husk that comes in the bricks, only its in a bag and much less shredded. I don't use it, because it can cause impaction in my froggies, since they are so small the the chunks are kinda big. I have no idea about snakes though.

I can tell you, it WILL retain lots of moisture if you are looking for humidity, and shouldn't mold.

5. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

Thanks its so light and good looking. Im planning on ordering a good amount of it and using it for all my snakes.

6. The JD

The JD Elite Member

I just mixed a brick of it in with my soil yesterday in preparation for the tropical plants I ordered. The stuff is pretty small, so I don't see it as a problem, but a lot of people will tell you it's an impaction risk.

7. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

8. Merlin

I've never seen that particular product!
    I suppose it will be fine if you don't feed the snake on it.
    Otherwise that stuff poses a serious impaction risk!

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

its probably no different than aspen bedding, except that its coconut. I would be worried about sharp edges perhaps, but thats it, as long as you feed outside the enclosure.

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i like it! looks nice and will keep moisture. But as all have said, feed outside enclosure or stuff will get stuck to prey item and get swallowed

11. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

I always feed outside of enclosure, escpecially with this guy. Dont want stiches or anything. By the way what does it feel like getting bit by a snake his size (5.5 ft). I doubt you really need medical attention as long as you clean it up really well. But I don`t really know at all. Does anyone happen to have some bite mark pics? That would make my day.

12. Merlin

At that size, it will hurt, bleed a bit, and maybe bruise. Stitches will not be necessary unless you forcefully pull the bitten body part out of the snake's clenched jaws and tear the skin. Snake's teeth are like needles, curved backwards and designed to grab and hold. They do not have cutting type teeth the way an iguana does.
    The biggest concern would be having a tooth, or teeth, break off in the wound (again from being jerked). This could result in infection in either you or the snake.
    Or both!
    I have been hit by a 14 ft retic. All I got was pinprick wounds and a bruise.
    And a deeper respect for big retics!

13. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

I assume out of instinct that if im reaching in his cage a he strike me im already going to be pulling away so he misses me. So if he does hook me hopefully I`ll stop but out of instint that`s going to be hard.

14. Merlin

With the size this snake is going to be its a good time to start learning to read its body language. Always assume its ready to strike and pay attention. And do not approach from in front of its face.
    Before too long you will have a pretty good idea whether it is in the mood to be messed with. You have to deal with them on their terms.

15. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

I just don`t know what to expect out of him. He hasnt been handled alot and coming from a breeder, I expect he was fed in his cage but im not sure. The guy told me he has never struck before but who wants to buy a snake that has a history of striking. Once i pull him out of his tank im no longer in any fear of him striking. It`s just reaching in there to get him.

16. Merlin

Just watch his head and neck. If he is seriously tracking your hand with his head be cautious. And watch the neck. A hard tight S is in position to strike.
    It all pretty much boils down to repecting the animal. This isn't a dog or cat where you can just grab it anytime you want and do whatyou want to with it.
    A good way to determine the snake's mood is to make you a "touch stick". Take a peice of wooden dowel rod and fis a ball of heavy fabric onto the end of it.
    Sort of like a giant Q-tip!
    When you initially open the cage lightly touch the snake's body or head and observe the reaction. If it pretty much ignores it then you can reasonably expect to be able to approach the snake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.