This Disappears When Logged In

Coco Husk Walls

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by tlh9162, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

and live plants help keep your humidity up....

2. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

ok...you talked me into it...lol How about ivy? Are they safe for my wd's? Tricia has a lattice in hers and was thinking about putting one up the side of the viv. Could put containers at the base and let the ivy crawl up the lattice. ?????

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

ivy is good. So is pothos. The good news is with the amount of humidity, light and heat, its pretty much impossible to kill a pothos in a vive. You can't even kill them by overwatering, since they like to grow IN water.

4. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

as far as i know ivy is safe for water dragons, i know its safe with chameleons, so i doubt theres any problems with water dragons. Are you thinking of the european type ivy, or more of a tropical ivy?

5. schlegelbagel

she'll need something on the tropical side or it will be too humid and it will rot.

6. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

thats what i was thinking, Wanted to make sure.

7. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Definitely tropical ivy. I think it would add a nice touch to the viv. I don't have the mechanics to do a waterfall or anything like that so anything to help with the humidity would be awesome. Thats why I wanted to part of the walls with the coconut husk as well. Thanks for the suggestions! MUCHLY appreciated.

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Check out the plants for sale at Black Jungle... there are a TON of great choices. :)

9. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Found some really pretty Oak Leaf creeping fig ivy. A bright green! Looked at the wood section...didn't see anything in there for high humidity's except cork. They recommended "ghost wood" but did not look like they sold any. Recommendations anyone?

10. schlegelbagel

cork is your best bet, but its pricey.

I simply went out to an area that i knew was pesticide free, found an oak tree that had fallen a while ago and started peeling off bark.

Oak is a hard wood. I haven't had any problem with it molding or anything.

Free. Just bake for 30 mins at 350 to kill off any creepy crawlies.

11. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

We have plenty of parks nearby...lol Have to take my back-pack with me. Believe me...the last thing I want is creepy crawlies! Ugh! lol 30 mins at 350? You Bet!!! lol Thanks!

12. schlegelbagel

warning, your house will SMELL. Open some windows.

Find trees that have fallen, but sit at an angle. In other words aren't laying on the ground. I find they are the easiest to peel apart, the bark comes off in nice big chunks and they aren't soppy wet and crumbly.

Plan on lots of trips. It took me 2 trips for the 90 gallon! Bring a friend and a 2nd backpack.

13. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

And make sure that it's legal to take... some areas are protected. We wouldn't want to have to bail you out of jail. ;)

14. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

lol...will do. You guys up for a road trip? :) Steph, I will be out in your "area" in a few weeks. Going to LA. Hope it is warm and sunny when I get there!

15. schlegelbagel

yup, forgot to add that part of the legal. I believe it can't be a state or federal park. I'm lucky and have a friend with lots of land.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you check most municipal parks also have ordinances forbidding the removal of anything.

17. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Asked around work and found a co-worker whose parents own alot of land. They have a woods that they think has quite a few trees that fell last summerfrom storms. They said I could scout the woods and take what I wanted. Yeah! Really helps to know people...just like you guys. Appreciate all the help! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.