This Disappears When Logged In

Coco Husk Walls

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by tlh9162, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Can anyone give me a source for coco husk? I loved the way they looked in someones viv pic's and wanted to do that in mine. Is it possible to all of the interior walls with that or is that not advisable?

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

All of the interior walls? as in so you have no way to see in? I think I would stick with one or 2 walls. The Coconut husk is found in expandable bricks. Eco Earth is one brand of it.

3. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Actually... 3 walls. Back and the sides. I have 2 water dragons and am building a 6 x 6 x 3 viv. The front is gonna be sliding glass doors. The husk gave a tropical feel to the pictures that I saw.

4. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Found a distributor for it...guess I thought it came on a roll or in sheets. lol How do you adhere it to the walls?

5. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

By coco husk walls, did you mean like the picture below?
    If so, there are some very informative walk-throughs online, but essentially your going to spray Great Stuff, a foam insulation, on the sides of the cage you want covered, (if glass you have to apply GE silicon II before it will stick) Then once the foam is dried, you smear the silicone (Ge Silicone II dries to be non-toxic) on, working on small sections at a time, and press the completely dried cocohusk to the silicone.
    This is the walkthrough i used, About to build my First Vertical tanks! Update on page 2 - Vivarium Forums
    but it also details building a vertical vivarium out of a glass tank.

Attached Files:

6. fire2225ems

are you using wood for the sides or a glass tank?

If its a glass tank, like Ryan said, you want to use silicone on the glass first. It is very important to use GE silicone II as the other brands will be toxic to your dragons.

If it is wood then you should be able to adhere Great Stuff insulating expanding foam directly to it.

I'm in the process of doing it to my tank at the moment and have been trying to do a step by step topic on it as I go. You can check that out or many of the others in the Habitats section and get a better idea of how it works.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/17233-crestie-tank.html

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i know she is using wood. Thats a LOT of husk and a LOT of silicone. I would consider maybe mixing in some big pieces of bark and even some natural stone floor tiles to mix it up and not have to do the entire thing!

Put it this way, my 90 gallon enclosure, which is mostly bark with EE stuck in it took 3 bricks, 3 cans of great stuff and 3 tubs of silicone. You enclosure is closer to 350 gallons which is a LOT more to cover.

You could also just sand down the wood and apply water based poly-crylic and keep it natural wood.

8. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Never thought about adding other natural elements to the wall. THANKS! :) That would really add character and dimension! You guys are sooooo smart! Maybe I will just do the back wall...that what most anyone will see anyway. The sides can be natural and have something else on them...saw that Tricia used latice for her plants and lizard to crawl up on...that looked cool too. Everytime I think I have my design set...you guys come up with something neat and I make changes again...lol

9. schlegelbagel

just sketch stuff out and don't make it too hard on yourself!

10. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

I am on my 4th sketch....lol Question: Min-wax sells a water based stain. Can I use this before I polyacrylic the walls?

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Remember to silicone several inches one each side (to hide the sides of the Great Stuff). Extend the silicone a few inches further than the GS, then trim it off with a razor once you've finished the backdrop.

You can also use tree fern panels (though they're not as ecologically sound of a choice) and cork bark.

Good luck! :)

12. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

I'd like to keep it as "natural" as possible. I like the cork bark and had a few ideas when I was sleeping...lol If I took a cork bark "tunnel" and secured it to the wall...I could make a "bottom" for the one end, fill it with sterile soil and turn it into a planter. I could have plants growing down the walls and have a place for the wd's to lay on at the same time... What do ya think?

13. fire2225ems

good idea, but a simpler one would be to use cups or the bottom half of a plastic bottle. Your tank is probably even big enough that you could use a milk jug or something similar. The you place that on the wall as you are applying the great stuff and great stuff over it. before it tries add a layer of the cork bark and you have the same look that you were trying to achieve with the cylinder.

14. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

You should visit Black Jungle Terrarium Supply They have a wonderful slideshow of how to build a terrarium. There are links to other resources too. :)

15. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Awesome idea Shell....great way to recycle some of those plastic jugs that get thrown away! I can put drainage holes in the bottom of the jug too! Thanks for the link, as well, Steph. My daughter says I spend too much time on the computer now...lol. I like doing the research before I start a project...I end up liking the results better. :)

16. fire2225ems

If you do make the drainage holes, make sure to seal the great stuff with silicone or epoxy...

17. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Just on the bottom of the jug area...right?

18. schlegelbagel

I don't have any drainage holes on any of my containers. I just don't overwater.

19. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Maybe I will stick to silk plants....Plants and I don't get along real well!..lol If I want to guarentee them staying looking nice... I better buy silk! lol

20. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

you could just stick with really easy plants, pothos, air plants, so on. either way im sure you'll be pleased, but live plants really do look great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.