This Disappears When Logged In

Coco Fiber MESS

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by CaseyB, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaseyB

CaseyB Member

So I reconfigured my tank last night to incorporate my new Reptofilter waterfall (love it!!). In the land area, I decided to lay down some coco fiber. Huge mistake. Now my water looks awful. I took out the fiber and put river rocks in its place, and replaced most of the water, but it's still not looking great. I really don't want to take everything out to clean it--this is an aesthetic problem; it's not hurting my FBs. Is there anything I can put in the water to clarify it, but not hurt the toads? Will the filter eventually work it all out?

Does anyone have experience with this particular tank disaster?

Thanks!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Coco Fiber MESS!

Try packing the coco-fiber down HARD. I do that with mine and nothing ever clogs up or gets icky. What is dividing your coco from your water, if anything? Here is my setup. I have a plexi divider.

[​IMG]

3. CaseyB

CaseyB Member

Yeah, my divider is more of a retaining wall, really. It's that turtle ledge thing they sell at Petco. Water definitely gets in. When I get my bigger aquarium after Christmas, I'm going to have a waterproof area. Right now I'm just looking to reverse the mess factor.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Best bet then is to go without substrate. They don't really need it.

5. CaseyB

CaseyB Member

Yes, I definitely know that now, but does anyone have suggestions to anything I can put in the water to clarify it?

6. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

If there is already cocohusk in there, then there is nothing you can add... You will have to get the pieces of husk out.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah, a water change is about the only thing that will clear it up right now.

Some filters (usually larger ones - not the reptofilter) manufacture a micron filter for their units that is for polishing water - making it pretty again. It's a finer filter that picks up many smaller particles that other cartridges and media miss. Those however, come with very strong pumps/suction which could make a serious current in your tank, and pose a serious threat to your toads.

8. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Can't you put some river rocks on top of that husk and that should keep it all on the bottom of the tank?

9. Freihto

Freihto Elite Member

I say you just clean it, it won't take too long, and it will look much better with rocks anyways.

10. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Yea would they have to be bigger so the toad or frog doesn't swallow a rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.