This Disappears When Logged In

Coastal Carpet Python is Quite the Swimmer, Could Mites Be the Cause?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by MouseMurderer, Oct 25, 2013.

1. MouseMurderer

MouseMurderer Member

My Coastal Carpet Python, he is a little nippy because he's young so i use gloves to handle him, usually not always. Lately he has been spending time in his water bowl a lot, and he was too big splashing all the water out so i got him more of a water tub to fit nicely in. I figured he was trying to cool off at first, but then after i got the tub, he started bringing his whole head under and swimming circles in the water completely submerged. I thought that was sweet for a total of 10 minutes until i started thinking that there might be a reason he's doing that more than wanting to be a water bug, well now I'm concerned he has mites, he's in the same room as another snake with a mite problem.
    So basically what i want to know for my Coastal is, do they like swimming or should i be concerned about the chance of mites?
    AND have you heard anything about forest floor cypress carrying mites sometimes?

My roommate is out right now getting mite spray now, so we plan to do that again and again, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If your carpet is in a room with other infected snakes, chances are, he has them too. Mites get around.

Any substrate can carry mites if it was purchased from a store that had them.

Do a mite check on him - look in his water bowl for little specks, and/or wipe him down with a damp paper towel and see if it has any specks on it.

3. MouseMurderer

MouseMurderer Member

For the infested one, I've sprayed with zoo med mite off, cleaned out bedding (of every snake in the room), and soaked all the snakes hides and bowls. I've done all of that 3 times and we keep finding them on our ball python. does it sometimes take multiple times?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

When I had mites, I was giving every snake a bath, every day, for a month. You posted pretty much the same question in another thread, I have posted a more thorough answer for you there. Hope it helps - Mites are a pain!