This Disappears When Logged In

Coastal Carpet Enclosure Size?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by justor, Mar 1, 2012.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

Hi all, I'm wondering if I could get a bit of info from anyone who might keep coastal carpet pythons. I'm looking into getting one in a few months, but I'm unsure about cage sizes. Of all the care sheets I've read, none have recommended anything larger than a 4' x 2' for an adult enclosure. This seems a little small for a snake that has the potential to break ten feet in length. Is that a pretty good guideline? I was thinking about going just a touch bigger than that (4.5 x 2.25), but can go larger if need be.

Also what would be a good size to start off a yearling in?

Thanks!

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

You can always look for a male which will be a couple of feet smaller also. From what I read about them before, that size enclosure would do well for them. If I recall correctly they also recommend a taller cage since they are somewhat arboreal when they're younger. I look forward to having you join the snake side of the hobby :D

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Thanks, I am looking forward to bridging the gap to the other side as well! Yea it's probably going to be 3.5 feet high so that should give me plenty of room to add a nice perch.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I read that the female holding the record for size came in at 14ft! Hope you don't get one with her genes ;) I think that size sounds fine for them (enclosure). That'll give you a nice little project setting it up

5. justor

justor Elite Member

That would be crazy if it got that big, but I would accommodate! ;)