This Disappears When Logged In

CO2 and Bullfrog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by ltdead, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ltdead

ltdead Member

So - my bullfrog has been upgraded into a bigger tank, which is largely water, with a large platform with fake plants to hide under. Inside the water I've planted a bunch of live aquarium plants - which I've been reading I should dose with CO2 to help them grow.

But my tank has a solid, acrylic top with two notches cut (about 2" by 2") cut for power cords and tubes.

If I'm running a DIY CO2 system (2 liter soda bottle + yeast) in a 50g tank, with 10g of water in it and 40g of 'air,' can the CO2 reach a dangerous level for my frog? Should I switch to some sort of screen for the top of the tank instead?

I was hoping to keep the solid top, as it traps humidity and conserves moisture, which I figured was good.

Bonus question: the condensation on the side of the tank makes it hard to see my frog. How do you fix that? If I take the lid off, it evaporates away and solves the problem, but deprives Jhermy of the bonus humidity.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

haven't a flipping clue. I have never done water plants nor researched the topic of c02 and frogs.

I wouldn't worry about the solid top with that much water. He'll soak when he wants to be wet.

3. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

Do bullfrogs breath O or do they absorb it? Is there a way to monitor the amount of CO2 on the air? then it would be ok if you check regularly. Also, you could look for a CO2 regulator where you can adjust the amount of co2 ommited. I don't know anything about this, but I would research this if it were me.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

adding extra live terrestrial plants will help absorb some of the extra CO2 in the air and replace it with oxygen. And it might be best to replace the top with a screen so that there is better ventilation, that way fresh oxygen can be constantly filtered in. The humidity will probably stay at a decent level still and, like Schlegel said, dehydration really isn't a concern when the toad has easy access to water for soaking and drinking.