This Disappears When Logged In

cloudy fish tank housing african clawed frog

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by cap77442000, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cap77442000

cap77442000 Elite Member

Hi. Does anyone have a problem with cloudy water in their tank? I have a ten gallon that houses 1 albino african clawed frog, 1 sliver molly, 2 apple snails, a couple feeder shrimp and a couple feeder guppies. It has two hides, a rock wall in the back which has a air stone behind it and a heater. The air stone is not on all the time and is on a very soft flow. There is only one plant which is fake. Also there is a couple of ornamemts here and there. I have a whisper filter. The water temp goes between 75-78 degrees. I have large stones on the bottom. I know not to change all the water ( learned that the hard way dealing with algae). I leave the light on for 12 hrs. a day. The pet store said to use this stuff what to you think? http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...20tank&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=cloudy+fish+tank#details Thank you in advance, Cheryl

2. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I don't see how using the clear tank tablets could hurt, and if it was my tank, I'd probably give it a try.

I've found that using a filter that has a Bio-Wheel helps keep the water cleaner...the Bio-Wheel constantly turns as water from the filter runs under it so it stays wet but is exposed to lots of oxygen in the air. This allows beneficial aerobic bacteria to thrive on the wheel, and they work hard to reduce toxins and bad things in the water. The tank on which I have mine has had nicer water by far than any tank I ever had without one.
    Here's a link to a description of a Bio-Wheel filter system:
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...294965743&Nav=1&Ntt=Bio-Wheel&N=30+4294965743

I did have a cloudy water problem though once, even with the Bio-Wheel (many many years ago), and I bought a liquid that was supposed to clear it up (Can't remember what it was called). I didn't have much luck with it though...the "milky" water turned out to be a bloom of a particular algae that the liquid didn't touch. I guess the algae bloom finally worked itself out because it went away and my water became clear again.

3. cap77442000

cap77442000 Elite Member

Thank you for your help. I will check out the bio wheel. My mother is the queen of fish and she just told me the same thing about the wheel. She has a 55 gallon with sharks etc and it is very clear and she doesn't do anything to it just leaves it alone. This is my first ever fish tank so thank you very much for the advice.

4. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

I think your tank is over stocked African clawed frogs require 7-10 gallons per frogs alone the molly and guppies need a gallon per inch, and i believe apple snails need 2-3 gallons per snail, I dont know how much the shrimps need.
    Also keep in mind that your clawed frog will likely make a meal out of your mollie the frog doesnt know the difference between display fish and feeder fish.
    also with frogs you want to over filter a little a whisper filter is good becuase it has a gentler waterfall that wont disturb the frog as much
    over feeding can also cause cloudy water what are you feeding them?

5. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

when i had my fish and the water got like that i used some stuff called cycle it worked great if you go to the pet store they should know what to give you

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long has the tank been set up and running and how long since the last water change? The cloudiness could be due to any number of things.

7. cap77442000

cap77442000 Elite Member

Hi. I am aware that the tank is to small in 5-6 months the pet store told me to get a bigger tank. I want to get a 30 gallon. I feed them freeze dried plankton, fish flakes, and frog pellets. I feed the whole tank every other day. That is what the pet store said to do. The frog eats the feeder shrimp and never seems hungry. The last water change was a week and half ago. I was trying to get rid of algae and stripped the tank down and started over. I know not a good thing to do. That is why I am asking this time because I don't know what to do and I feel like just starting over again.

8. cap77442000

cap77442000 Elite Member

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you completely stripped the tank down a week and a half ago what you are experiencing is a bacterial bloom. You basically wiped out the bacteria that were growing in your tank and now in the presence of so much available food they are playing catch up. I would feed very lightly and let the tank stabilize. And keep an eye on your ammonia level. A few handfuls of gravel from your mother's established tank will help as well.

10. greydragon

greydragon Active Member

how long do you leave the lights on and are they on at night or during the day?
    since algea is a plant if you cut down on the lights increase water changes get a better filter(yes one with the biowheel) the algea will go away

11. cap77442000

cap77442000 Elite Member

I leave the light on for 12 hrs. a day. I added a algae eater and a black molly last night and added the clear tabs. The algae eater is doing his job already. I'm going to change the tank size sooner because I added the extra fish. Right now I'm just going to leave the tank.

12. magikof7

magikof7 Active Member

Gotta put in my 2 cents! LOL :p
    Frogs are pretty messy critters, If you upgrade to a bigger tank this will help. It is a bacteria bloom you have going on and it will clear up in a day or 2 with a water change (small change) and an adjustment in your feeding.
    I highly recommend a canister filter. I bought a couple for my 90 gal when I had fish. ( I kept them for 7 years) I have been through almost everything with my tanks. (had 8 at one time)
    Do not use those Chemicals in your tanks! You don't need them, they are useless, if anything they will cause more fish loss. I only used the water conditioner in my tank at water changes and a little salt now and then, it went a long way.
    I used the Aqua clear filters (Best and cheapest to run I think if you can't afford a cannister) You never have to change the sponge and you can make a carbon filter out of bulk carbon and pantyhose when you need one.
    Canister filters are awesome I can't recommend them enough. They are low maintenance. I gave mine a light cleaning every few weeks and I only put Bio balls and floss(pillow stuffing) in the media baskets.

If you go buy some polyester or cotton stuffing from any dept. store (pillow stuffing) and put it in your filter it will filter the Micro particles out of your water. It will be crystal clear in a day or 2.
    You are feeding too much at one time. Try feeding a small amount everyday. Your Frogs should be ravenous feeders. When they get big enough you should expect your other fish to go missing ;)
    I Had a high mortality rate in my tanks until I stopped listening to stores. :rolleyes:
    Once I started doing things my way (with the help of a breeder friend) I stopped loosing fish. ;)
    I hope this helps you out some!
    Oh and they don't ever tell you this but once Mollies reach adulthood they live in Brackish water :(

13. cap77442000

cap77442000 Elite Member

Hi. Thank you for your help.

14. greydragon

greydragon Active Member

well i guess every one has there favorite type of filter myself i will never use a canister filter ever again my hose that returns the water to the tank sprong a leak and my tank drain to nothing all fish died i talked to my LFS he told me that it is common for hose to leak he knows of 25 other people that happened to he even gave me the name and numbers of all of them for me to check out but like i said we all have our favorites if they work for you good i just wont chance it again i lost a pair of breeding black angels with over 300 babys thathad just hatched and i was getting ready to change the filter so it wont suck up the baby

15. magikof7

magikof7 Active Member

Wow greydragon that really sucks!
    I never had that problem with my filters, I have never heard of anyone with that problem. What brand were you using at the time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.