This Disappears When Logged In

Close Call

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by pjrojo, Nov 19, 2012.

1. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

A few days ago while I was doing a quick wipe down and some decor rearranging in my Green Tree’s enclosure she slide across a piece of black electric tape I was using to ‘tack’ something down (I only have two hands) and two seconds later I about had a panic attack thinking I fatally injured her. I strayed ‘Shed Aid’ on her hoping I could remove the tape and after one try I stopped. She wasn’t happy I did that. She did eat a rat the next day which I thought was a good thing.

I emailed the breeder asking him to call me first thing the next morning (and he did). I explained to him what had happened and suggested rubbing peanut butter on her and that would release the tape but that would mean another exaction and she wasn’t cool first one. So looking at her shedding timeline I knew it was time for her to shed soon so I bumped up the humidly in her cage. Last night she went into shed which was the moment of truth. I watched the whole and that piece of tape came right off with the old skin. I checked and double checked and didn’t see any damage to her at all. The breeder said I was pretty lucky that she wasn’t hurt/damaged but she seems and looks fine.

8202153086_a3754ec76b_z.jpg

8201059539_e475618de4_z.jpg

8201059461_c82f01e0c3_z.jpg

Attached Files:

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Whew! I am sure you are relieved.
    Tape can be REALLY nasty. Electrical tape, though, is fortunately less sticky than Duct tape. For such a little guy, that could have been really dangerous. I would have suggested using olive oil or another vegetable oil rather than peanut butter, but the idea is the same: grease helps remove sticky things.

In the future, if you need "more hands" when the snakes are in the terrarium, use cable ties.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

happy to hear everything came off! She's little cutie!

4. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks Andrea and Joey! I wished she'd grow fast enough to look both of yours :)