This Disappears When Logged In

Cleaning Used Deco and Furniture.

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by HDreptiles, Jan 17, 2011.

1. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Needed a little help. I got some used furniture from someone that I get fish stuff from all the time, and trust. However, the stuff he gave me had sat in the garage for a while and I was wondering the best way of cleaning it. I figured boiling it would work, but I would like a more educated opinion from someone if that is possible. I don't want to get my herps sick from these items. Here are pictures to help you out.

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

The water bowl and cave look slightly discolored, but that could just be me. The bowl and cave are both Exo Terra, and the rock is from unknown origins (I probably will not be putting this in any herp habitat any time soon).

Help a new guy out, and let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bleach solution, 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Then rinse well.
    Unless you are going to use it for amphibians.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Even for amphibians the 1-10 solution works. I just suggest for the last rinse, filling up a bucket with some de-chlorinator treated water and giving them one last soak and rinse. Then let sit out for a few days to let any leftovers evaporate.

4. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Thanks guys. I thought that may work, but then I ran across the boiling thing somewhere, and thought that might work. I know that works for fish tank stuff, but I didn't know if it would work on herp stuff. Gonna do the bleach thing tomorrow.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Boiling is a viable alternative.
    However if there are air pockets in what you are boiling it could very well explode!

6. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I don't think we want that. LOL. Well, I might like to see it, but I don't think the soon-to-be-wife and in-laws would like that.