This Disappears When Logged In

Cleaning the Glass

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by Smokie4Pooker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Smokie4Pooker

Smokie4Pooker Member

OK I am sure I read somewhere to get rid of the water spots, to use a damp paper towel...it is not working(of course) =-), I know OBVIOUSLY that we cannot use glass cleaner, but do any of you folks out there with real world experience have a suggestion for me?

Thanks for any input

Love this forum, everyone is really helpful!

2. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I use a cleaner called "healthy Habitat" it works wonders and is pretty multi purpose for cleaning the surface of just about anything in all of my habitats.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I take the herp out of the cage, and use vinegar. Soak a paper towel in it, and press that against the glass. Leave it to dry (about an hour) peel it off, and wipe the vinegar away, and the water spots are gone.

You can also use a flat scraping razor, and some elbow grease. The same kind of razor you use to clean glass top stoves, etc.

4. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

I would also agree with this, but if your water spots are not a caked on situation where you would need the full strength or even scrappers, then you can use a vinegar diluted solution on a weekly basis and won't have to worry about the removal of the reptiles. Spray on~~ wipe off!!:)

5. Smokie4Pooker

Smokie4Pooker Member

I don't know if this makes any difference, but the inhabitants of my vivarium are green tree frogs...

6. skelegirl

skelegirl Member

I have had a fair amount of success with lemon juice. I just pour some on a paper towel, then wipe the glass down. I always do a water rinse with the spray bottle after, just in case (esp. for the frog tanks). :)

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Just soak down the glass with water and use a DRY paper towel to wipe clean.

9. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

I vote healthy habitat as well, works amazingly for me, and you can spray it anywhere

10. Brownman

Brownman Member

I use Healthy Habitat as well and it works great. For water spots I use a 3M blue scrubbie, not the green. The green pads will scratch your glass.

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Does the Healthy Habitat work for hard water stains as well?

It doesn't matter how many times I've tried soaking with vinegar and scraping with the scraper thing, I have a few tanks that I just can't get the hard water stains off! :mad:

...I have actually scratched up a few of the worst areas on one tank trying too hard to get that *stuff* off!

12. Smokie4Pooker

Smokie4Pooker Member

Thanks for all the input everyone, I'll have to see if I can find the Healthy Habitat. Using plain water worked OK at first, but we are definitely open to trying other ideas.

13. cslammon

cslammon Elite Member

Honestly I haven't had any water spots from the healthy habitat, but then again my glass doesn't get wet too often, when it does you can see the water spots, but once I clean it's gone

14. kerryc

kerryc Member

I want to try the Healthy Habitat stuff. Thanks for the suggestion folks. I've been using baking soda a little elbow grease. It doesn't scratch the glass but I sometimes have to clean more than once if I get a used tank that is especially grubby.