This Disappears When Logged In

Cleaning Cypress Mulch?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Frognut, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

My big bag of cypress mulch has been sitting on my porch, which is kinda closed in - but accessible to bugs and such.

I need to change out my Ball Pythons tank and was wondering about cleaning the cypress? It has been well past freezing for weeks now - would that have killed anything that may have crawled into it?

Obviously, I have to get it back to room temperature before I add it to the tank - but I was wondering if I should bake it?

To bake it, would this be right?: Oven at 300ºf, lay out the mulch on say cookie sheets (or could I use cake pans and make the layers thicker) and bake it for 10 minutes?

Thanks!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I always just used mine right out of the bag. Having been in a closed plastic bag in the sun at the garden centers it was pretty much heat sterilized by the sun.

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I would say baking can't hurt if you're that concerned.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

being that it was outside on your porch and it was accessible to the bugs if anywere in it I would think they would have gone dormant(not dead) for the winter and when you get it back to room temp I would think they would start moving around again. When we were kids we would freeze rollie pollies and then thaw them out with a magnify glass.

5. Frognut

Thanks - the bag was open, I used it right from the bag when I first got it for the reason Merlin mentioned. But it's been sitting on the porch with just the plastic rolled down. I'll bake it for peace of mind.

Are my baking instructions correct??

6. Merlin

I' would go 325-350 for 20-30 minutes.
    If you are going to smell up the house you might as well do a good job of it! LOL!

7. Frognut

Oh, boy! LOL!! Maybe I'll do it tomorrow when hubby is at work, and pretend to be blond when he comes home and asks about the smell....>:)

8. Merlin

If its anything like whan I was sterilizing soil for making my own potting mixes for indoor plants,....
    Lets just say it was the gift that kept on giving. For days!
    And my wife was NOT amused!

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Don't know if you have one or not but to prevent the smell from taking over my house I have used my gas grill, has a timer and you can monitor the temp.