This Disappears When Logged In

Citrus Has Passed Away :(

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by teach920, May 30, 2010.

1. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

:( My family and I returned last night from our vacation and found our Bearded Dragon Citrus passed away. My 22 year old niece (who was in charge of feeding and taking care of the animals) was at the house when we arrived and she is devastated as well.. She stated that Citrus was "fine" Friday afternoon when she was feeding her and our other animals...and all we know is that by Saturday evening she had passed away??? Aside from obviously being heart-broken, I am also quite concerned as to how/why this could have happened?? My niece has her own Bearded Dragon and knows how to care for them, and I do believe her when she states she came over daily to take care of the animals...(and all of my tanks are set with timers so I know heating/lighting were not an option, and all of the other animals are doing fine...including our other 2 Beardies.)...Our Citrus was approximately 3 years old, so I know that "old age" was certainly not an issue.....
    My daughter is still crying this morning and I suppose more than anything I am still in shock, because I don't understand how this could have happened so suddenly?????

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm am very sorry to hear that Citrus has passed away, three years is very young. I can only imagin the pain that your family is feeling during this time and my thoughts go out to you and your family. :(

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I am so sorry for your loss! I know that you love your herps and that this a heartbreaking and frustrating! The only way, to get an idea of what happened, is to have your vet perform a necropsy. Even then there is no guarantee that you will have a definite answer. It could be genetic or environmental, maybe something as simple as a toxic substance on a food source. It is just so sad no matter the cause. **hugs**

4. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

very sorry to hear about your loss :(

5. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Sorry this happened to you. I know how devastating this can be for someone. You and your family are both in my prayers.

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

7. Midori

Midori Elite Member

I'm so sorry about this happening.

8. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm terribly sorry for your loss! It's bad enough when we lose one ourselves, but to come home after it has been in someone else's care and not know if there was something that you could have done to save it. That is heartwrenching. I feel horrible!

Try not to dwell on the negative, or your niece - I'm sure she did what she was supposed to do. I can't help on the possible causes of death in such a short time.

I'm so sorry, I'm sending my thoughts to you and your family!!

{{HUGS}}

9. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Thank you all...these past 2 days have indeed been very difficult for my family.. After speaking in more detail with my niece, I've come to the conclusion that Citrus probably "caught" something right before we left for our vacation, and unfortunately it progressed while we were gone, until she passed away....(I say this because the day before we left, my niece picked up my daughter after her finals for school and they took Citrus with them while they went to eat lunch and then they brought Citrus up to my work to help me finish packing up my classroom for an hour or two......My daughter's reasoning was that since she wouldn't be seeing Citrus for a whole week, she wanted to spend as much time as possible with her before we left.....needless to say, I think that day might have been when Citrus evidently became ill.)
    At first I thought of having a necropsy performed, but after discussing with my daughter, I decided against it....She wanted/needed some closure and so we both decided to bury Citrus in our backyard...We spent yesterday thoroughly cleaning out our other 2 Beardie Enclosures (even though Robby and Duchess look and appear to be in perfect health.) I have decided to take both of them to our vet next week, just to be on the safe side...
    My daughter took some pictures of Citrus the day before we left, so I know that comforts her..(I am attaching one that she took while she was eating lunch with my niece, and I am attaching my 2 favorite pictures of Citrus....one with her and my daughter and the other is of Citrus on her favorite basking log.)
    Again, Thank you all for your kind words/thoughts....Citrus will be missed dearly.

Attached Files:

10. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Wow, I have been off for the past few days and I missed this thread. I am SO sorry this happened to you! I know Citrus had the best of care while you had her and I know you are devastated, but please take comfort in the fact that she died with the knowledge that she was well loved. I will keep you in my prayers.

11. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Sorry to hear you lost your buddy.