This Disappears When Logged In

Chubby Frog Questions

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Buffalofroggie, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Buffalofroggie

Buffalofroggie Well-Known Member

Hi all.....Yesterday i fell inlov witha cute little chubby frog! Adorable! However I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can hep me with.

How do I tell if I have a male/female?

I bought forrest moss for its substraight, but the stuff stinks!!!! I read ur suppose to put down gravel, then soil and orchid brk, and put the moss on top of that. If your putting ALL this stuff in he tank, do you remove it ALL when cleaning the tank, or just remove the moss?

Do they releive themselves in one area, or just go potty everywhere?

I tried to give her/him a wax worm last night, and she/he backed up, and blew up her/his body to a enourmous size!!!! So then I put the wax worm along with some mealies in asmall dish, and they are still there this morning. Does she need a settleing in period?

This is my first frog since I was a kid. And Ialso want to get a pacman frog....can I house them both together...I am using a 10 gal.

Oh one last quetion...the pet shop said I don't need to give her heat....but I read they should have undertank heat to about 75degrees...My average house temp is 68 year round (I don't have central air).

Thank you all in advance for your help!!!

Peace!

Buffalofroggie!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

First, here is a good care sheet for them.
    Amphibian Care >> Asian Painted Frog or Chubby Frog (Kaloula pulchra) Care

Male/female: If its male, you will eventually hear calling. No calling, female.

The only substrate you want/need is coconut fiber. It comes in a brick that expands.

They should have a water dish and should go potty in that. You are going to want to change out the substrate every few months. It's cheap, about $6/brick and one brick will do you just fine.

They cannot be housed together. Not only will your pacman eat the chubby, but they have different temp requirements.

You do NOT want an under tank heater for a burrowing frog. That is asking for burns. They don't need heat as long as its staying above 68 degrees. If you want,you can put a low wattage bulb on one side of the tank (like a 25 watt bulb) and have it turn on for 12 daytime hours.

3. Buffalofroggie

Buffalofroggie Well-Known Member

THank you for your help! Thats why i decided to ask.....People that have these little critter know so much more than the pet shops and the internet! Cudo thanks to you!!

Peace!

Buffalofroggie