This Disappears When Logged In

Chubby Frog Not Happy

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by mommy32b, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

hey all so I have a chubby frog in a 10 gal tank and usually he come out in the evening and night to swim and he has not come out for 2 nights now and I am not sure what is wrong w him. I did take his heat rock out the first night that he stayed hidden after reading from all of you how bad they are for the animals. I also have noticed little bugs in his home and on him and I do not know how to tell the difference between mites and just the little bugs that I don't really need to worry about (so I have read anyway) Does anyone have any tips on my 2 problems? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Chubby Frog Not Happy?

Give us a rundown on the rest of his setup. Substrate type, diet, temps of the enclosure, humidity and what supplements you have been giving.

3. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

like I said it's a 10 gal w/ the bed-a-beast substrate, he has a fake tree with a cave in it he loves to hide in on the left side his light is on the right and it's a 60 w his water dish under that and a small live plant in the corner by the water dish and a heating pad under the tank that im not sure but i don't think it works soo well but its a little warm,the heat is around 70 at night and 80 during the day.

4. schlegelbagel

First off, ditch the heat pad. He'll dig down and get burned. If you need it for night heat, then stick it to the side of the tank.

Your daytime temps might be getting a little warm. 78 is about the warmest it should get. So maybe turning off the heat pad will do the trick, if not go down to a 40 watt bulb instead. They bury to get away from heat. Lowering the temp a few degrees might make him come out.

He's a burrower. If you don't see him for a few days, don't panic.

Have a good care sheet.
    Amphibiancare.com >> Asian Painted Frog or Chubby Frog (Kaloula pulchra) Care

5. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

thanx liz I will try to lower his temps during the day and I will ditch the heat pad! I didn't think about it burning him DUH!

6. schlegelbagel

Not to mention, they burrow to get away from the heat, and if there is a heat pad... well, its just going to get them confused.

7. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

oh yaeh if you are still watching this post I have been coating his meals 1 time weekly he eats 10 to 12 crickets every 2 days am I giving too much calcium and am I feeding him enough

8. schlegelbagel

nope, once a week in calcium is just dandy :)

Try to offer him some night crawlers too. He'll like them :)

9. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

like just night crawlers that I buy to go fishing really I never even thought of that thanx liz

10. schlegelbagel

Yep those same ones. I pick mine up from the Walmart fishing section.

11. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

For some reason I can never get my White's to eat nightcrawlers.

12. schlegelbagel

Half my white's eat them, half don't. Both my Pacman frogs love them.

13. mommy32b

mommy32b Active Member

oh he is just going to love me, do I give him the whole thing at once or do I split them, and about how many do you think for one feeding?

14. schlegelbagel

I just keep dropping them in until they become uninterested. Don't chop them up, no need to. Some days they want 4, other days they want 1. No rhyme or reason of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.