This Disappears When Logged In

Chlorinated Water for Reptiles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan01, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I am curious to people's views on this subject: using chlorinated water for reptiles? The water is chlorinated where I live, and I am hesitant to give my Beardie a bath in the bathtub because of the chlorine in the water. I give him baths in smaller containers with dechlorinated water. Does anyone else do this? Or does anyone think that a little chlorine once or twice a week won't harm a bearded dragon (or other similarly sized lizards)?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Chlorine isn't good for anything - I keep gallons of dechlorinated for plant and animal use. Occasional exposure probably won't hurt, but if dechlorinated is readily available, I would just stick with it.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I use bottled spring water for my snakes, drink it myself too, tastes much better than the chlorinated tap water.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have always used regular chlorinated tap water for my reptiles. They will do just fine. Now amphibians would be another case entirely.
    And consider that feral iguanas in Florida regularly swim and drink out of people's heavily chlorinated swimming pools.