This Disappears When Logged In

Chiquita - Burm Health Issues

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by TJOHNSON722, Dec 24, 2012.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your guy still sick. I was hoping to hear he would be doing better by now.

As to the tantrums.... know all about it and in our case the best thing we can do is ignore completely as though she doesn't even exist. Quite hard sometimes but it's had the best results for us. We always tell her to let us know when she wants to talk like a big girl and she'll come try again. Good luck with both issues :)

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Carrying tantrums huh? For those I tell Piper "your a big girl now and you need to walk." then I turn and walk away.
    I am thinking about starting time outs for when she wants to start a drama fit.
    I love the name Astasia.

Have you feed Bannana yet?

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

So, he didn't eat. After carefully thinking this out. He has had such a busy time lately, I'm going to give him some breathing room for a few weeks. Between shots, feed attempts, etc he hasn't really been left alone. Tiny my other burmese didn't eat for like 4-6 weeks after we got him. I'm thinking if I completely leave him alone for a few (2-3) weeks he might be completely settled. If he doesn't eat then, then ill call to have him force fed. I really don't want to do that though. So ill try anything first before I stoop to that.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I agree with the space issue. He has been man...er woman handled almost constantly. Give him a bit of breathing space for about two weeks after the.last dose of meds. It may be he is just a bit stressed out. Love and prayers for you and Banana! Keep me posted!

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Oh my, I talked to a few burm breeders, they think he is a she. There's no way she will eat right now, with breeding season and all. She just had one of the worst sheds I've ever seen a snake have. I don't know if its from the shots, or what. Her humidity is almost spot on. She's still a sweetheart and has been very active the last week though. She keeps coming to the glass and watching me while I am messing with the others.

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Possible...my female will anything not nailed down, I think it is so she can bulk up for breeding. Males will typically go on a fast so they can breed with any available female. Some will nearly die from hunger just to breed one more time. Not necessarily the case everytime though.

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Why would a male want to stop eating to breed? Seems like they'd want to eat more so they can increase endurance and have enough resources to make lots of sperm.

My best friend has an albino green burm named Banana :) I agree that giving her space may be just what s/he needs. My Monty was only 23 pounds at about 15 feet when I adopted him. He hadn't eaten in 8 months and wouldn't eat for me for about 6 weeks. His shed was so bad I thought he had died.... totally unresponsive, and had turned completely white. He was lying on his side, sort of half-coiled, and when I went in the next day to collect his body, he was quite perky, freshly-shed and shiny. :) Like your banana, Monty had been kept at room temps before and while he was living in his rubbermaid container.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but how much does s/he weigh? And at what approximate length?

Maybe s/he needs to hydrate and recuperate and let the antibiotics work before eating. After all, burms do atrophy most of the digestive tract when fasting. Ingesting prey means undergoing a massive remodeling of major organs including the heart, stomach, and intestines. Maybe s/he's just not ready yet after all the stress. How do you know when it's really time to force-feed?

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The males just don't have the time to hunt and eat! They must constantly be on the lookout for some hot mamas! What's more enticing eating a rat or finding some slithery chicka to hook up with?

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Aja she /he is 51 pounds and approx 14 feet (I have not measured that's according to the rescue).

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Great news. Chiquita tried to eat my husband. He actually thought my husband was food. I know how some of you will think that's not good. I do though since he hasn't showed any interest in anything. Were giving it until Friday and were going to give him a live rabbit. Hopefully. Cross your fingers.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

How long has he been off feed now?
    And feeding a full size rabbit?

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Were not 100% sure since he is a rescue. The previous owner said he wasn't eating. The rescue got him in October. I got him as a foster in December. So at least October. I wasn't really worried because a) he is still big and b) it was breeding season.

Yeah were getting a full size rabbit tommorrow from my rat dealer lol. He raises rats, rabbits and mice. Hopefully I will be able to get him to eat.