This Disappears When Logged In

Chiquita - Burm Health Issues

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by TJOHNSON722, Dec 24, 2012.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck with that and happy to hear he's getting meds :)

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Heh, heh, heh! Sounds as though you are going through what I went through a couple of years ago. Except, I had to snake (pardon the poor wordage )a tube down my Burms throat to give the meds. Not fun and rather messy at times. This was for some mystery illness that Isis stymied even our exotic vet. She thought it was scale-rot...even though temps amd humidity were right. So, ten days of fighting with an 8.5 foot Burm really did me in.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I really hope I never have to do that. It's because of you I have this addiction to the big snakes. I remember when I first started on this site, how cool you were because you had all the big snakes.

Now I'm curious, ever find out what it was that caused it?

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Sorry...been Suuuuper busy lately. Never did figure it out...possibly a viral infection or possibly a skin allergy since she is an albino. She has not had it since so...who can say. I appreciate the cool points, but I am only a person with a super affinity for giant constrictors.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Either way.....

Banana (his nickname courteous of my children) has had 2 of 5 doses of amitracin (or whatever) and Im completely happy. He is a loud hisser now. Before, it wasn't all that loud. No bubbles, no wheezing, nothing. Well try to feed again Thursday evening. If he doesn't eat this one, I will have to force feed. Or, I won't, but the guy who runs rescue, and had to do it before will. I'm praying he will eat. I even caught my mother talking to him telling him how he really needs to eat. (Can you tell where I get my love for animals from? - she likes him a lot she says).

6. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Progressing nicely. He'll eat.

My wife tells me it's creepy to listen to/watch me talk to our reptiles and see them seem to pay attention/listen. It's a gift!

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I hope he eats. I really don't want to have to force feed. I'll feel like a bad snake mom if so lol. I'm worried though. Well see I guess.

8. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

I know the feeling. I just gave Phoenix, one of my 18 month old female Dumerils boas, her third injection of antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection. She doesn't act like it bothers her, but I still feel bad even though I'm potentially saving her life. Fed-Ex delivered her to the wrong address........a meat packing plant, and she was in a freezer for 3 hours before I located her. I guess they didn't even see the address and just noticed the "Perishable" on the box so it went to the meat packers!

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

A FREEZER? Poor baby! Luckily you found her!

10. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Yes, the entire facility is a giant freezer. I knew something was wrong when 10:30 hit and I had no delivery. I called the breeder and got the tracking number and it showed delivered. I called Fed-Ex and got the delivery address but could not locate it as they had no numbers on their building. I Googled the addy and located them. It is a large facility and the guy in the guard shack was not very helpful until I explained to him what was in the box. Within 5 minutes they brought it out. There were two in the box and they were so cold that they had condensation dripping off of them when I got them into some sunshine!

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Poor things. Are they both doing good now?

12. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

Fyre has tripled in size and is doing great. Phoenix took a frozen/thawed two weeks after her defrosting but then refused week after week. The first time I attempted to feed her live food she blew a giant snot bubble from both nostrils. That's when the heat and humidity were increased and I put her on craft paper substrate (from aspen). One week later, after showing no signs of improvement, she went to the vet for antibiotics. The day after her first injection I offered a live mouse about 2/3 the size she should have. After three misses she finally connected and fed. I am now feeding her twice as often as I normally would in order to keep her metabolism up and she has one more injection to go. As of this morning she is no longer clicking, her throat is no longer distended, no snot bubbles are present, and she has no slime in her mouth. All appears to be well. I'm going to keep her on the craft paper at an increased temparature for a while to prevent a relapse though.

13. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

It's tiny and you can't see them very well, but my avatar image is my coworker and I holding them outside in the sun 10 minutes after they came out of the freezer.

14. cctbspencer

cctbspencer Elite Member

It's Thursday! I am anxious for news on Chiquita!

Sorry I got this thread way off topic above.

15. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

We won't feed until tonight after my kids go to bed. It's less frantic that way. Lol. I'm sitting through a temper tantrum right now.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Don't you just love tantrums? I have started counting how many the kids to through in a day...

17. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

This is from the 3 year old who's attached at the hip. Lol. Were trying to un attach her. Any tips??? I'm fresh out. Lol.

18. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

was the bubbles clear? i have heard from alot of burm keepers that after they drink sometimes there burm's have lots of bubbles come out of there mouth that can look like a ri.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Nope. I am trying to get a two year old to not throw tantrums when I change her diaper instead of her mom or dad. So far if she is crying for an actual reason but not because she is hurt I just tell her "I will be sitting over ____, when you are done let me know and we can play." Then for really stupid tantrums (you know the ones thy throw jus to throw a tantrum [she will start a tantrum just hoping to get a oacifier]) I say "come on you can do better than that!" "Show me how loud you can go!" And this tires her out quicker so we can play.
    So far it kinda works and I have gotten her down from 8-13 tantrums a day to just 4.

20. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Astasia's are more because we won't carry her 24/7. It gets old really quick. She just cries and screams.

The bubbles were clear, but he was also wheezing. If it was just bubbles and the water pouring out of his mouth, I wouldn't worry. But, he was wheezing too though.

Is it wierd, I've never seen him open his mouth. I may just be worrying myself for no reason though. These kids can't go to sleep soon enough. Then we will see.