This Disappears When Logged In

Chiquita - Burm Health Issues

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by TJOHNSON722, Dec 24, 2012.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Ok, so I was on my rescue login looking for info on our albino burm we just got. When the rescue got him in, the previous owner said he had a respiratory infection and was treated for it by thier vet. It also says on there Chiquita (his name) hasn't eaten since December 2011. Yes a whole year has gone by. Thier temps in the reptile room was at 85 previous owner said. Photoperiod for lights. No additional setup info was listed. I raised his temps to 95 basking, 78 cool and 86 hot side last night because I noticed wheezing, a lot of fluid draining, and bubbles. Basic signs of a Respiratory Infection. This morning after I woke up and made breakfast, I went down to check on him. No wheezing, no bubbles, no fluid. He's been on the basking spot since last night (95 degrees).

Am I seeing too far into things, but it seems just raising the temps has helped tremendously..... I will be calling the vet, however, can't until Thursday due to the holidays because he is closed. I'm wondering since its like 30 degrees would transporting him last night have caused the fluid and bubbling. I can't speak for everyone, I don't know what temps in rescue I know the setup he had, but didn't measure temps. Even the previous owner I don't know because unless I myself check it, I don't trust it.

Also, any advice on how to get him to eat would be wonderful. I know as an adult, he is fine with no food for a year. It still worries me. I really don't want to have to assist feed him. (If I do, ill make it a video I promise).... Any other tips on the wheezing bubbles and fluid.

Here's a pic of a flat ball on his basking spot for enjoyment.

Attached Files:

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

He looks great, at least on the surface. I don't know much about pythons, but I do know that he deserves a more masculine name...even Chiquito sounds more manly :) In any case I wish you luck--hopefully once you get that URI under control his appetite returns.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think you should give it a few days to make sure the RI is actually gone before feeding. Not like it will hurt him any.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I will definately. Just seems like even warming him up helped. Granted I raised it almost 10 degrees his body temp was 65 last night today its 82 already.

He does look too masculine and big for Chiquita. Lol. I do like Chiquito though.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Are you keeping the humidity at fairly high level to help with possible drainage?
    Chiquito sounds like taquito...

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You don't want the humidity to be higher than optimal for the species.
    It's possible that the extra heat helped to knock it down but I would still see a vet.
    It's my understanding that burms that have had a RI are always a bit higher risk for contracting another one.

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I think feeding him may not be such a good idea for now. I would look into getting meds for the poor guy and you're doing the right thing by raising his temps. Keep them a bit higher to help him, even at night I honestly wouldn't let them drop below 80 or 79 during this period. I wouldn't put much into what the previous owner said since if that was the case then this guy wouldn't have an RI. Even if the temp in the room are high they still would have needed to monitor the temps in the enclosure with its own heating source. Good luck!

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

The humidity is at 49% according to the accurite thing. He is shedding too. I found some loose skin around his head. Figure that out. I'll call the vet, but I do know **** probably have us do the antibiotics at the rescue since we have them there. Who knows poor guy. I'll keep an eye on him and let you guys know.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Good news, I think our boy is hungry. I went to check his water levels, etc today, and haha he snapped his head around looking at me like I was food. I thought I was going to be bit. I think he may eat Friday. Cross your fingers all he needed was warmed up to the proper temps.

10. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck!

11. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

GOOD LUCK!

what do you plan on feeding something this size?! please, take a video!?

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

You want the humidity higher than 49%. You want it to be at least 60%. Measure the rH on the cool side of the enclosure.

And good luck! :) Remember to keep good quarantine practices, you don't want to spread anything to your other snakes. :)

13. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I will move the probe tonight and get another reading on humidity. The 49% is on the hot side. I need to get another unit but dang if I don't want to go to Walmart bc I can never leave without spending at least $80.00. Lol

He will probably eat rabbits. At least I'm hoping. He's starting to move around his cage a lot. He's either exploring more, or searching for food. Either way its better than laying there like he did the first night or two.

14. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Update, he didn't eat. I'm not shocked. I did, however make an appointment for the vet right afterwards. It's next Thursday at 1:30. Well keep the 5 lb rabbit alive until then. Maybe in 2 weeks he will eat. The humidity is 57% on cool side also. He still even with the rabbit acted like he wanted to eat. He just didn't.

Haha has anyone tried hauling a 14 ft, 100 lb snake to the vet? Should be fun!

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Umm...storage container on a wagon? With portable ramps? To get into the car and up stairs.
    I think you should record the moving procedures!

16. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I spoke too soon. No moving needed. Got an email. Our exotic vet we use is same as rescue's vet. Owner has all antibiotics on site to give it immediately instead of waiting. COOL. We have standing orders to use certain things for certain illnesses. Amikacin is being picked up now by my other half and Chiquita will get a shot when I get home from work.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Here is my issue with that: the rescue had him for how long? They supposedly treated him for an RI. Then they had you take him and did they give you the medicine then? You turn the temps up and that seemed to cure him-but still sick. So instead of a vet checking him over to make sure it's only an ri they are just gonna give more meds and hope it works?
    n its great that he doesn't have to go through the stress if a vet visit, and maybe I am missing something, but their approach seems sketchy.

18. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

He wasn't treated by the rescue. The rescue has had him for like 2 months total. Then I got him. They didn't give him meds. I was reciting what was in his medical screen on the server. We get detailed info about all the animals. The old RI happened 2 years ago. He was also transported in 20 degree weather.Even though we had heat on, and hot hands pads in his box, he kept getting out and crawling around car that night. The RI isn't that bad. The vet tech even said when I called that amikacin is what would be treated with. Not to mention, the owner and like 5 volunteers are all vet tech's. They've been doing this for about 10-12 years. I trust them completely.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

See its the little details that make all the difference. I was under the impression that he has always had tHe RI. Now it makes much more sense.

20. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yeah I'm never very clear when I type. Thoughts just rush out. Lol. Apparently I missed a demonstration of giving the meds. Apparently the 25 year old albino burm who is the owners education pet was struck with a needle as a demonstration for my husband. Good thing its even more docile than Chiquita is lol.

I have to give 5 doses total once every 3 days. Eek.