This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon Modular Vivarium Plans

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by The JD, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The JD

The JD Elite Member

So I'm in the planning phase of a CWD vivarium. The plan is to have 6' wide, 6' high, and 2' deep. However because something that big would be impossible to move, I'm building it into two sections, 6' x 3' x 2 which will be bolted together and have weather stripping to keep humidity and temps in.

My biggest conundrum is how to do the windows. I'd have to have two separate windows for each module, which means no sliding glass doors across the whole thing. I was thinking of just getting a double-hung house window so that I'd have two slides of glass that I can put up or down (or out completely for cleaning) so I should have good access inside the viv. Plus they should be easy to install and keep humidity and temps well. Has anyone used normal house windows in a viv before? Is there any other (cheaper) alternatives?

The one reason I like the modular design is so when I get a mate for my CWD, I can easily make another module and bolt it on to extend the size.

2. meki

meki Elite Member

Re: CWD Modular vivarium plans

Hey,

I wonder if you really need the viv that big for two dragons... :confused:

I am in a process of building a viv 6x2x4 for my dragon the it started at HH the first part of the project is here and the HC the second part of the project is here

I am planning to get a second one as soon as the enclosure is done. I really think it should be more than enough for two dragons.

You can see the way I am making it.

Also my enclosure is mobile i can move it, it has 5 industrial heavy duty wheels attached at the bottom.

Also I will be using sliding glass doors that u can detach if needed for cleaning.

Anyways check it out maybe you will get some ideas.
    it it still work in progress....

3. Elkejane

Elkejane Member

I framed in one large piece of glass instead of using sliding glass doors, this way, the view to my dragon is not obstructed in any way. In fact, the glass door is so big in the front, that I can see my dragon under the water swimming. My viv is big too, just finished it. To remedy the moving part of it, we just put it on large casters. It's easy to roll. We also put a drain on the water side, and the land side, which flows right outside to make water changing easy. If you want to see pics, (it's made from an antique armoire), just do this:
    go to:
    www.sendtoprint.net
    then when it asks for a gallery code, enter:
    spyroyahoo

I love my vivarium. My baby has been in it for about a week now and he is really happy.

4. The D

The D Mango Empress

i'm a big fan of "the bigger the better" if you have the space to give you WD a home that big good for you! mind you i have no experience building a viv myself, but it seems like the house windows would be a good solution to your problem.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If you go with the house window plan you better check into some restores that carry used product. Two windows that size aren't going to be cheap. You could also put a solid glass piece a foot or so up from the bottom and put the doors above that. Like the exoterras are made. It will keep the cost of the windows down and will definitely be more solid. I say if you have the room for an enclosure that size by all means build it. Your WD's will worship you.;)

6. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Well, I bit the bullet and got two 3' wide 4' high double hung windows. It's expensive, but ****, I spent more on my turtle tank set up, so what the ****. The plan is to have a the two windows side-by-side with 2 feet extra below them. On the left side will be a glass/plexiglass pane so you can see the 50gallon aquarium, and on the right side it just going to be wood, where there will be about a foot or less of soil/substrate. The aquarium is going to have two 30gallon filters, and since the aquarium won't be filled up to the top, it should help with water changes. I also have a tubing that connects to the bathroom sink and "vaccuums" the aquarium, so cleaning the tank won't be a big deal. From there I'll have multiple platforms along the edges with either 2x4's or staircase wooden railings being used as fake branches. The fake branches and platforms will all be covered with that green reptile sheet stuff (Forgot what it's called...). I got two large computer fans I'll use for circulating air from the top to the bottom. I'll also have some live plants inside it, as well as two small doors on the sides for feeding.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Does sound like quite a project. Make sure you document it PLEASE. I know we'd all like to see it's progress. So start with the pics already.:D

8. The JD

The JD Elite Member

I'd love to document but I don't have a digital cam :(

I'll probably do a big post when it's all finished with a summary of its construction and things I learned. We've got one of the modules framed and walled up. Working on the second one now. This thing is going to be bigger than I pictured...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.