This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon Eye Infection?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by H2o972, Mar 7, 2014.

1. H2o972

H2o972 Member

Today I was going into his cage to clean and re-arrange stuff and i noticed he was keeping one eye closed. I said his name and he opened his eye and I saw a white bump on it. I was able to get a picture of it and need to know if it's an eye infection so I can see if I can't get him to a vet, or if he is just shedding his skin around his eye. If needed I can try to get better pictures, everything in his setup is where it needs to be give or take a few degrees/humidity levels. He has repti-carpet so the substrate isnt a problem and he's getting great calcium. Please help and thank you, if there is any home remedies that I can use please help out because I'm strapped for cash and can't afford a vet visit.

WP_20140307_14_17_15_Pro.jpg

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Was there any puss or gunk in his eye?

Could you get a closer picture of it please?
    Its hard to tell but my initial thought was it looks like shed...

3. H2o972

H2o972 Member

There isn't any puss or gunk in his eye, I'll get a picture first thing in the morning because he's asleep right now and I don't want to stress him out by waking him up and getting him to open his eye. I hope it's a shed but it's odd because he wont open his eye while he does it and flinches when i spray water on it or try to touch anywhere around the eye when he doesn't do it to the other.

4. H2o972

H2o972 Member

WP_20140308_09_38_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140308_09_38_51_Pro.jpg

Here are some better pictures, he had his eye open when I went to take the pictures so it made it easier for me. What do you think, just a shed or something else? I have turtle eye drops if I need them

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No it isn't shed there's something off with the eye. Try the turtle eye drops and then take a Qtip, wet it with warm water, and gently roll it over his eye to see if you can dislodge whatever's in his eye

6. H2o972

H2o972 Member

I tried rolling the Qtip over his eye and something white started to come up, he'd quickly close his eye but a bit would hang out. So I tried grabbing at it and he flinches really hard when I start to pull on it. Should I just keep trying to pull or leave it alone and let the turtle eye drops do what they do?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Dont pull on it as you dont want it damaging his eye somehow, but try soaking him in a warm bath and then using the qtip to try and ease it out. It may come out a little bit at a time. After the soaks use the turtle eye drops-keep in mind these are only vitamin drops that will help in the health of they eye and wont cure the infection itself.
    Another thing is you may want to look into ordering some terramycin for opthalmic uses. You can get it from here: Store I have had great success with my box turtles eye infections by using this.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

looks like an infection.... maybe has some debris in it....

9. Ogster0

Ogster0 New Member

Hi I have the same problem with my female water dragon did you find out the cause and cure

10. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

My dragon wont open his left eye only sometimes though theres nothing in it and it looks like the other eye