This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon Died Today

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by hawinhb, Aug 5, 2010.

1. hawinhb

hawinhb Member

I took my CWD to the vet today for de-worming and she died as soon as we got home. She started swinging her head from side to side with her mouth open and her left leg became stiff and twisted back a little. Took her back to the vet and they think she had a heart attack. They want to do an autopsy and said they will call us back tomorrow. We're so upset. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening?

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Sorry for your loss. :(
    I am curious what the vet will say.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry for you loss.

What meds were administered for the deworming and at what dose? I would have had an independent vet do the necropsy. This way you would get an unbiased result. If the vet administered the wrong dose of whatever med they used for deworming, they would be open to a lawsuit. That would be very easy to cover up if they are performing the necropsy.

4. Medium

Medium Elite Member

That is a shame. My Leo died after treatment at the vet for parasites. I can't say my Leo would have lived with out the treatment, but the treatment sure sped things up.

Sorry for your loss.

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'm so sorry :( I'm with Rich - I'd find another vet to do the necropsy. I hope you can find some answers.

6. okiron

okiron Elite Member

I see you're in OC too. Do you mind PMing me which vet you took her to?

7. hawinhb

hawinhb Member

I will ask them dosage and type of meds used for deworming. Even if wrong, I'm sure they won't tell me now.

So sad. They were commenting that she was the largest dragon they'd ever seen and in excellent health. We worked many months spoiling her rotten and gaining her trust. She always wanted to come out of her enclosure and just hang with us.

8. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

This is all a little strang to me!?????

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Generally the name of the meds and dosage are on your vet bill.

10. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Just saw this and wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss.

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry for your loss!
    It's sound fishy, they said she was the largest dragon they'd ever seen and in excellent health. They must have made a bad judgement on the dosage of meds.
    Again I'm sorry for the loss of your Water Dragon, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

12. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

13. Midori

Midori Elite Member

I've never heard of it happening with a rep but I've heard about it with horses, I hope your baby didn't suffer with horses you have to call the vet most of the to put them down because of worming gone bad. But the worming only messes with them if they have some other underlying problem.

I'd have to say it's be a good idea to get necropsy done. Because if she was healthy as they said they messed up big time.

14. Moni

Moni Active Member

I'm so sorry.
    My first Chinese Water dargon
    died at only a year old.
    Shinji. He was my baby
    And I was so upset about it.

From what i hear Chinese Water
    Dragons get sick easily.

15. kandi

kandi Active Member

I'm sorry for your loss.
    The vet you went and seen is a herp vet or just a regular vet?