This Disappears When Logged In

Chinese Water Dragon Behavior

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by exavier_7, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exavier_7

exavier_7 New Member

What does it mean when my water dragon scratches at the substrate in his cage and jumps into the side of his cage. Is he trying to escape?

2. DragonPaw

DragonPaw Elite Member

It means the enclosure is too small and/or the dragon is trying to get through the glass (they do not understand glass).

How long is the dragon and what is the size of the enclosure?

3. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

no matter how big the enclosure they will always want out there animals heh but when you have a large enclosure for them the less they may try to get out, that and if theyre WC then they dont understand glass unlike CB which tend to be more layed back and kinda understand glass more heh...not sure if anyone understands what im say heh...

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Also, cover the back and sides with paper or something. If if continues to run into the glass, it could cause snout damage and other health issues.

5. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

I use white paper...it reflects less. Black or dark paper acts just like a mirror.

6. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

for me i dont have that problem i guess i just got lucky and my WDs understand glass kinda or something....i dont know maybe it cause i let them out of their cage when im home

7. cs900

cs900 Elite Member

just a thought, but if "he" is scratching at the sub straight, maybe he isn't a he at all. could be a gravid female looking for somewhere to lay her eggs.

just a thought.

8. DragonPaw

DragonPaw Elite Member

A dragon will snout rub far less in a large enclosure.

Yes, sides should be covered; but before that is done it should be determined whether or not the enclosure is too small. Covering the sides of the enclosure is not an answer if the enclosure is too small.

9. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Also, if you have the dragon in the same cage as your ig or even just another dragon(Not sure if you do or don't but, it looks like you do from the pics on your intro thread) it could be having dominance issues with the other lizard...

10. venus

venus Founding Member

No one is implying that it is the fix, but its a start until they determine the size and until they get a bigger one if its to small :)

That is what I thougth when I saw the other post...

11. My dragon is also digging around everywhere in his enclosure. He is young about 10 inches from head to tail, and he lives in a 55 gal. tank.

Yesterday I put some tape about four (4) inches from the bottom. I am at work for eight (8) hours. When I come home he is usually catching rays on top of a branch, and all I see are the holes everywhere...

I dunno what to do I don't have much money for another enclosure, if that's what he needs. :(:confused:

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

is it possible your He is a She? Could be gravid and is trying to find a spot to lay eggs.

He/She is going to need a bigger tank, and soon. The recommended size for an adult water dragon is roughly 300 gallons (custom built of course). This measures out to be 2 x 4 x 6 feet.

13. I like your advice. Any tips on how to get a custom enclosure started?

Thanks!

14. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

I built mine for around 100 bucks. I started out by frameing it, using 2x4's Then I got myself some plywod, and fitted it to the two sides and the back. For the inside of the enclosure walls I got vinal tile at the dollar store where I live, and used that for the 3 sides, and the bottom. For the front, I covered 1/2 of it useing hardware mesh with 1/4'' holes, then I made the other half of my cage a door. Just framed it with 2x4's and covered it with hardware mesh... some woods are toxic to water dragons, just make sure any wood is sealed, with something that is safe for your lizard. Oh and for the top, I would use sealed wood, cut holes for your heat lamps, make sure the holes are over sized to prevent the wood from getting hot and catching fire, then screen the holes off with the hardware mesh, and give the wood sealer lots of time to cure before putting your water dragon in hope that helps some!!

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

16. venus

venus Founding Member

17. Can I buy any type of wood? What sealers do you recommend?

18. DragonPaw

DragonPaw Elite Member

If you mean lizard-wizard-noob's dragon - even if it is a female, it is too young to be gravid. Not until it is 18+" snout to tail length.

Pine and cedar are toxic to reptiles, although can be used if sealed properly.

You can use a polyurethane sealant or epoxy paint (as examples). Whatever sealant you use, be sure to let it fully cure and the enclosure to fully air out. You will know the enclosure is fully aired out when you do not smell any more fumes. This may take several weeks, but can be sped up with the use of heat lamps and/or fans in the enclosure.

19. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

I used standard 2x4's for mine...but will be coating everything with at least 2 coats of Polyacrylic made by Minwax. If you want to stain the wood, do it before you use the polyacrylic...Minwax makes water based stain as well and it very easy to work with. (And it doesn't stink up the house..:))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.