This Disappears When Logged In

chinese water dragon advice (pic included)

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by inkman, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inkman

inkman Elite Member

hay all does any one know the average growth rate of a chinese water dragon I know feeding habitat and lighting are all factors but with out those in mind what should the growth rate be

[​IMG]

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

5-6 inches as a hatchling...an inch every month after that :)
    http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/ This is a very helpful website...you should check it out, it has just aabout everythign you need to know on it :)
    BTW how old is your Dragon? He appears to be atleast a year?

3. inkman

inkman Elite Member

realy thats pretty fast, my other water dragon lilly she took a long time to blosem she is about 25 inches (I wonder if she will get bigger) this one I havent figured out if it is a boy or a girl but it does seem to be growing fast

4. mshrmheadcharge

For sexing her, flip her over and look on the underside of her back legs, you should see brown dots if its a male that are decent size and if its a female you will see tiny dots....and your Dragon is over 2 years old...If its a female Im gonna give you some info about her being gravid..
    If you wanna wait a min Ill go snap some pics of my male and female

5. inkman

inkman Elite Member

okay great !!!

6. mshrmheadcharge

7. mshrmheadcharge

8. inkman

inkman Elite Member

quick question what is gravid?

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Its the term used for be pregnant, carrrying eggs or babies.

10. mshrmheadcharge

Its where thefemale is egg bound..all female water dragons produce eggs even if they dont have a mate and they will always lay them, and if you have a female more then likely she will become gravid this year because of her size..they become sexually mature at 24 inches and 2 years of age..if you do have a female ill tell you how to make an egg layign box for her and everyhtign :)

11. inkman

inkman Elite Member

well I know lilly is female (my vet comfirmed) and she is definatly looking chubby right now, maby if she is "gravid" this is the reason she wants so much attention

12. mshrmheadcharge

Have her eatign habbits changed at all? And have you noticed any digging? Gravid females will dig and have an appetite decrease...I was gonna say from the pic it looks like a female...shes a big girl!

13. inkman

inkman Elite Member

well her appitite hasnt realy change but the types of food she will except has she realy has been into greenage and strawberrys and just the other day i alowed her to have some free rome time and she got into some fruit that was on the kitchen table she was eating a green banna, but that pic is my new one and I have no idea how old she is but she eats like a little pige 2 or 3 crickets a day and usualy some green beans

14. mshrmheadcharge

only 2 or 3 crix? My adult female (19 inches) eats up to 40 crix a day

15. inkman

inkman Elite Member

realy 40 what size are they gut filled, yeah that new she eats two or 3 large crix a day and a lot of follage should I chage its diet

16. mshrmheadcharge

large crix and yes they are gut loaded, I use organic Bird feed that my vet gave me for gutloading crix, as for her diest you should consider feeding whole prey..like pinkeys because they are a very important part of a WD diet...it should be as follows
    40% insects (crix, mealworms, waxworms)
    50% whole prey (pinkey mice..in your case fuzzy mice)
    10% veggies/fruits
    heres an example of what my adult female has eaten this week, I feed her every other day since shes an adult...
    Tuesday, she ate about 37 large crix and 30 or so mealies(i lost count)
    Today I fed her 20 large crix and 2 pinkeys because I didnt have any more fuzzies, usually she gets one fuzzy.

17. inkman

inkman Elite Member

okay judging buy that pick I have this new one should be eating fuzzys
    man I feel bad I havent been giving lilly that much prey like pinkys only like once a week

18. inkman

inkman Elite Member

can I give them live small feeder mice?

19. mshrmheadcharge

I think they will be too big, Id stick with fuzzies and use frozen/thawed...if you use live they mite bite back and cause injury..and dont feel bad lol...she looks great annd looks liek youve been doing a great job with her!

20. inkman

inkman Elite Member

well thanks right now I am not at home but when I get there I will snap a pic of lilly she is pretty fat and her blue side stripes are huge and vibrant, I will post it on this thread, hay about that dig box what should I do ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.