This Disappears When Logged In

CHEs vs. light bulbs, heat and wattage

Discussion in 'Heating' started by replover, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok, if I got an incandescent light bulb that gives a certain temperature, say, that the bulb is 150 watts. Would a 100 watt CHE give the same temperature? Hotter? Not as hot?

If I want the same temp, should the CHE be the same, less or higher wattage than the bulb?

2. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Buy a non-contact temperature gun and cut out the guess work. LOL

3. replover

replover Elite Member

I know but it would still require choosing a wattage at the store and CHEs are expensive. With bulbs I can go back and pick another one up but CHEs are costly over here. I want to try to get the right one.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I have to agree with Dom. We would be guessing if they were the same, lower, or higher. Every bulb, even if the same watt, may or may not produce the same heat. lol So, without actually getting reading for that particular bulb and a CHE that is 100 watts, we wouldn't know for certain.

5. replover

replover Elite Member

Isn't the wattage an indication of it's power? I mean, with what youre saying, a 100 Watt bulb could be hotter than a 150 watt depending on the indivdual bulb?

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

The wattage of a light bulb does not depict the heat it outputs. A good example would be a 100 watt flood lamp vs a 100 watt household bulb. They are made of different glasses and use different filaments and coating. I would speculate to say that a 100 watt flood would output more heat than a 100 watt household bulb.

When you switch between brands of lights, you are also switching between the materials being used. If GE has a 100 watt bulb, and Philipps has a 100 watt bulb, we don't know if they would output the same heat. All we know is that both are producing 100 watts of light.

7. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

I agree with Rich and Dom,

You really need a Temp gun to know the true temps. There are too many variables.

Steven

8. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

Well I found a table comparing bulbs and wattage at ReptileUV Info: Watt-Heat.

I know that you already have set up the heating but thought I would post the link to it for others and future reference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.