This Disappears When Logged In

CHEs and dimmers

Discussion in 'Heating' started by replover, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Hey, this is what Beth told me earlier on but I just want to make sure its not just hers and that certain brands of CHEs can and can't do this.

Is it possible to control the amout of heat emitted from a CHE using light dimmer switches?

Also, does the heat mainly radiate from the flat surface of the cone shape DOWNWARDS when you point the circle downwards (such that the socket is above on top)?

2. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

I have used thermostats with both CHEs and my ceiling tile heat panel. The thermostat will turn off the heating device when it goes above the desired temp and on when it goes below. Haven't used dimmers though so I can't comment on those.

3. Kirsty

Kirsty Elite Member

The thermostat I use with my CHE is a dimmer type that you set to the required temp and it switches on/off as it reaches set temp. As far as I know yes the heat does radiate in a cone shape as described.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They do indeed project their heat in a cone shape. Assuming that you also have a reflective dome on the CHE this is quite a bit of heat.

Thermostats are just a few dollars more than dimmers and IMO are the way to go. A dimmer just makes the device go higher or lower and you have to keep fiddling with it any time there is a change in room temperature. With a thermostat you just set it to the temp you want and it automatically adjusts for any change.

5. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok this is the first time I've heard of these thermostats. What kind of shops would one be able to get one? We don't have "all in one" shops like home depot or walmart here in Hong Kong. Perhaps in aquarium supplies shops where they sell all the pumps and things?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I doubt that an aquarium shop would carry them unless they also deal in reptile supplies. My thermostats come from T-Rex (Reptitemp 500R)and is designed around reptile heating devices. You just plug your heating device into them.
    You could also look into any place that deals with home heating products but you will likely have to wire these in yourself.

7. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

When I was looking for thermostats all the HomeDepot employees directed me to the hardwire thermostats or to timers. I finally found one at an online greenhouse supply store http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls.shtml . I got one that turns on/off heating devices: ACF Prewired Thermostat. Given that it is for greenhouses it stands up to the humidity and can handle the wattages needed for reptile heating devices. I have had no problems with it failing on me. I also got one that is used for fans for overheating but have never had to use it yet. I had considered getting a programmable one but decided to stick with what I got. But now it is a lot easier to find thermostats that you don't have to wire.

8. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

The dimmer I used was one the fixture itself and worked just fine, and yes, I did have to fiddle with it a lot. But it did work just fine.

9. replover

replover Elite Member

I think I will get a dimmer first. I already have one and need one more only and it will get things started. I found the thermostats but I have to wire them myself onto the light socket for the CHE which intimidates me a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.