This Disappears When Logged In

Chelydra Serpentina

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by OUTSIDE, Jul 12, 2012.

1. OUTSIDE

OUTSIDE Member

Hi, I would ask that terrarium water, needs a Chelydra serpentina, what kind of growth they have? What diet should follow?
    Thanks to all of your time.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi, snapping turtles get pretty big and are very mean...it's hard to pick them up without being bitten...did you find one in the wild that you are tempted to keep?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I strongly doubt this person found a wild Snapper in Italy, lol.

I assume English is not your first language? - I compliment your effort, from what I understand it is not easy to learn.

As to water, Chelydra serpentina (Snappers, as we call them here) can deal with almost any kind of water. You may wish to use a water conditioner to remove chlorine, or simply let some tap water sit out for a day, and the chlorine will naturally evaporate. If you don't have a filter (such as one you would use on an aquarium) you will need to do very frequent water changes.

As to terrarium, they require a lot of space - in the neighborhood of 200 gallons of water as an adult, plus some land space. They are very hard to raise indoors, as most people simply do not have the space. A very large plastic livestock trough may provide adequate water, and can be used as a pond. Of course, you can use a standard glass aquarium for young or hatchling animals. The adults will need a LOT of space.

They can dig, and climb some fencing, so be very choosy when considering building materials. Your enclosure must be escape proof.

In captivity, their growth is usually faster, and they can grow to a size of 30 pounds (13.6 kg) or more, and have a shell over 18 inches (46 cm) long. They can live over 80 years.

As mentioned, they have a very foul temperament, and adults are capable of inflicting nasty bites, and even removing fingers.

As to diet, they are omnivores, though they eat mostly meat, they do scavenge, and will eat plants. Fresh whole prey (fish, insects, rodents, etc.) should be provided.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Jen, they are an invasive species in Italy...

5. OUTSIDE

OUTSIDE Member

I thank you, I help a lot with google, in Italy there are no species is prohibited as well keep them. But soon I will have to move to germany and the situation somewhat differently :).
    An adult size of land and water needs?
    Annually as they can increase the size on average?

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

learn something new every day!

Germany has strict laws on reptile keeping. A member here had to give up his whole collection over some reason, and he lives in Germany. if you are unsure of it, you may not want to make the commitment to this turtle - they live a long time, and get very big.

An adult should have something very large to live in. About 200 gallons (~757 liters) of water! and plenty of land space to roam. Probably at least 2 square meters, but more is better! They can gain up to a pound (.45 kg ) each year in the wild, but grow much faster in captivity! we regularly catch adults here that are up to and over 30 lbs (13.6 kg.)

You will need to provide them with a basking spot that is warm and sunny, even if they don't use it much.

7. OUTSIDE

OUTSIDE Member

We thank you for the clarification :)
    For possession of reptiles depends on the city of germany where you are.
    I'll let you lose.
    Thanks for the time dedicated to me.