This Disappears When Logged In

Cheap Hide/cage Furniture Ideas

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Beastie, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Hello all, it's been a few years since I've owned any herps and been on this site but now I'm back along with two new babies a king snake and a ball python. I'm looking for good hide ideas. I would like you use something that isn't going to look too cheesy (like the cardboard boxes we currently have in there), but also functional and not super expensive. We were planning on making our own polystyrene hides after watching some videos (and still might) but I'm not liking how long it's taking to get just one made. So what is everyone using for hides? Does anyone use pvc piping? I was considering using some to make a tunnel under the substrate (coconut husk) and maybe using an elbow for our kingsnake's cool side hide and throwing some sub over it to so that it just looks like a tunnel.

kriminaal likes this.
  2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Plastic tubs from frozen foods are great for baby snakes. I kept fish for decades before switching my main focus to snakes, and have found that the ceramic cichlid stones are much more useful for snakes than cichlids. The medium size are good for up to 3'-4' snakes (depending on girth) and I also use some large ceramic spawning caves for my adult Dominican red mountain boas and Everglades rat snake.

3. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Yeah neither of these guys are babies. The king is about 4' but thin because she had babies and then shed before we got her. The ball python is 2.5-3' (probably) and thick. I have never heard of any of the items you mentioned so off to Google I go.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Here's a link for the larger ceramic caves, they're great for my 6-7' relatively slender snakes. My larger carpet python is a bit too bulky to fit this size now, but I doubt that a BP would outgrow them. I cut felt to fit the inside bottom of the caves, easier to clean that way, just roll up to put in or out.
    Stackable Grey Jumbo Spawning Cave

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Making subterranean or even partially is always a good idea in my book.
    It enables higher levels of humidity to be accessible, and look good at the same time.

6. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Can you explain what you mean?

7. kriminaal

I meant how you were thinking about using the pvc pipe.

8. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Sounds just burying it in the substrate? But pvc would work? Also I have collected some manzanita wood that I want to use in my enclosures and I was considering sealing it with polycrylic and adding a little bit of sand for texture. I figured it would preserve the look of the wood, make it easier to clean, and the sand would make it a bit more abrasive for shedding. Does this sound like it would work? I also found a beautiful piece of Cactus skeleton that would make a nice little hide am I correct in thinking that I could seal this with polycrylic as well?

9. kriminaal

Yea, bury it with one end sticking up. Get large enough that you can put some damp substrate inside.
    Putting sand on the manzanita is a great idea to keep it on the rough side for shedding.
    Not sure what you mean by Cactus skeleton but polycrylic should stick to most everything as long as you rough it up first with coarse sandpaper.
    I would do that for the manzanita as well.

Beastie likes this.
  10. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

The Cactus skeleton is already very rough, the only issue I can foresee is that it's a bit porous so it may take multiple coats. This is kind of what it looks like but the piece I have has smaller holes.

Attached Files:

kriminaal likes this.